PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my Engine.

jet
03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Pulling my engine and Im looking for connecting points on the engine. I have the hoist & hook but where are the points on the engine that are safe to pull it out with? I have a fish eye loop on the back of one head and then another on the opposite front. Are these strong enough to use? Can it hold the weight? Chad (cmtaylor)..your coming over tomorrow right?? Jet

mapleleaf
03-12-2011, 01:28 AM
might sound nuts, but I wish I was in McKinney tomorrow.....

darflinger
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Yes, Thats where the lift points where on my new engine.

cadunkle
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Yep, that's what those big hooks are for. If you want to use a little more finesse get an engine load leveler. They have 4 connecting points and a big screw that moved the lift point to balance it. Bolt one point to each end of each head and you can install easier. If you have 2-3 people it's not bad to do without one. Small blocks aren't terrible tough to wrestle around anyhow.

So what's it coming out for? Freshening up?

jet
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
No, motor is tight. Just doing some upgrading. Well it started with new carpet!!! Now look at me. More custmizing, new gunwalls-leds, relocating battery, steering wheel upgrade, new dash, diy Z5 bimini and diy wedge!!

my tread:
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=8193

Gravity08
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Are you going to be ready for Memorial day?

jet
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
Either way were going. It should be back to driving condition by then, just may not have all of the pretty stuff I want to do to it. Good to hear from yall, how are you guys doin?

oldman
03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Jet
Since your doing all this customizing, why not cut the bow open like I did my 88 Skier? The kids love sitting up there. Check it out on my repair thread.

haugy
03-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, those bolts are perfect for lifting. I prefer to use two front mount bolts, and two rear. This allows you to use a leveler and make it that much easier and safer when pulling.

With diagonal mounting bolts the motor can tilt and swing, so be careful if you just use the two.

If you have any questions post up here and we'll help. I pulled the motor on my last Supra using my bud's two post lift. We rigged the arms together with the chains and engine leveler. This made a lift tall enough to get the motor out easily and safely.

Remember you are lifting 300lbs of metal. You need to be careful.

csuggs
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been using the 3/8-16 threaded bosses on the intake manifold.

haugy
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
You can use those as well. Those are good points when only pulling the engine.

When I pull an engine and tranny I spread the pull points out to make balancing the load and leveling it easier.

sybrmike
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I just used the two little stamped steel lifting eyes bolted to the manifold. They held my big block and tranny - ~900 lbs? (but admittedly, no one would walk underneath it while hanging from the ceiling in my buddies shop).

jet
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah I ended up wrapping the whole thing, but I wasnt getting under it either. lol

wotan2525
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I just used the two little stamped steel lifting eyes bolted to the manifold. They held my big block and tranny - ~900 lbs? (but admittedly, no one would walk underneath it while hanging from the ceiling in my buddies shop).

I laid underneath mine while replacing the rear seal and oil pan. We lifted the engine up high enough to get to these two items but didn't fully remove it from the boat. You're right -- it wasn't a safe or good idea!

jet
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Ooh yeah. Rear main seal..i forgot about that one. I will add it to my list.