PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Diagram - simplistic

csuggs
03-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Anyone out there have a simple wiring diagram for a mid-80's inboard? The diagram in my manual is not only hard to read, but is configured for all the "alarms" that were once available on these boats. I have no alarms, just simple gauges. Before I start drawing one up myself I thought I would see if someone had already done this.

OUI
03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Send me your email address and I'll send you one.

csuggs
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
PM sent. Thanks

sybrmike
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Here's my simple go-by diagram. Just need to splice a few wires. :confused: (Sorry, in the midst of prewiring the new dash & couldn't help myself).

Are you adding something or changing things up?

csuggs
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Here's my simple go-by diagram. Just need to splice a few wires. :confused: (Sorry, in the midst of prewiring the new dash & couldn't help myself).

Are you adding something or changing things up?

Lol! Just getting rid of the cluster of wires and splices behind the dash. I think I'm going to wire everything from the motor to a terminal strip located under the dash, then I'll just have a pigtail off each panel. I would like to rip everything out and start fresh.

wotan2525
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I really think some kind of maniac wired these boats dashboards @ the factory.

jet
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Im already thinking of this too. New gauges and less wiring. Every gauge has a power-wire..then a jumper to the red light and the a ground wire wich is jumping to ever gauge also. It a CLUSTER!

sybrmike
03-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Agreed, my factory wiring from 20 years ago was a bird's nest. The newer boats look better behind the dash, but maybe that's just better use of wire ties. Regardless, you're still looking at a butt/boat load of wiring. For me, it's roughly:

7 gauges x 4 connections (power,ground, illumination, signal) = 28
9 switches x 3-4 connections (some 2 way rockers) = ~30
12 breakers x 3 connections = 36
another 7 for horn, 12v, & ignition

So over a 100 connections just for the dash!

Add in the 2 batteries, isolator, stereo, 2 amps, 6 speakers, lights, bilge pumps, ballast pumps, engine senders, etc. Good luck with yours - I'm gonna be at this awhile...

csuggs
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Are you using special marine wire, or just a quality primary wire from local store? What guage - 16?

sybrmike
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
It's admittedly a hodge podge of what I had laying around, a one-time surplus buy of some tinned marine wire, and local standard primary wire. The factory stuff was just standard non-tinned & still functional after 20 years, so realistically probably good enough. If it was a center console used in the bays or gulf, I'd definitely go tinned marine all around - but this is a fresh water only boat.

16 ga for gauge power/ground/signal/lights. 14 ga for the switches, breakers, & anything carrying a load (trim actuators, ballast & bilge pumps, etc.). 18 ga for courtesy leds. 10 ga for primary feed/ground, ignition, 12 v outlet, & jumpers between breakers & switches.

I am using multi-conductor 14 ga on the longer runs from helm to stern where I'll use terminal blocks on the transom to tie in blowers, actuators, fuel sender, etc.

All the stereo stuff is getting tinned wire to help maintain the signals.

kenneth
02-05-2015, 11:34 AM
I have a 1990 supra sunspot that i have no power on the switch but i can hot wire it and it runs like a dream can not find wiring on line can you help me PLS