PDA

View Full Version : Are MB - SPORTS any good???

DAFF
03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Looking at a 2000 MB Sport B-52 model. The boat needs extensive work and seems to be a good base to start a project. The problem is I have never seen or know anyone with personal opinions.

Any info would be great and how this boat compares to the Sunsport. I have been looking for one for some time but this diamond in the rough has caught my eye.....

From what I have read they are a very high end boat when built. By looking at this one she looks rough but potentially a great deal. Let me know your thoughts.

Fman
03-19-2011, 06:08 PM
The newer MB's are VERY nice, not sure about a 2000 model. Try posting a message on wakeworld, there are a lot of MB enthusiasts on that site.

khelfrich
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
from what I have herd when mb started he bought the old prostar molds from mastercraft and that was the boss 205 and 210 and then he tweaked the molds to have higher free board stretched them to make the b52 boats

jet
03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Very well built boats from 95?-97? on. The new Tomcats are supposed to be really nice wake and very nice interiors..kind of a specialty boat. And what I mean by that is not mass produced, low numbers. The old versions were really nice. But you would have to worry about resale value and more important would be "who is looking for these old boats"? The old 190 and 205's are VERY popular and can bring a nice selling price..a boat thats that old and not sought after?? That is the question for me. Just dont hear guys out there saying..I want a old MB. I DO like the boats though. I think they were the first boat company?? (that I can remember) to offer neoprene interior, a all blacked out B-52 in 97?? Very cool..but seemed like it would be very HOT to me. lol

stinky_1
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
the old MB's are the same molds as the Ski Brendella's. Mike Brendella sold them with a business partner. When his partner wanted out in the lat 90's they shut the company down instead and then "MB" (Mike Brendella) came about. They are very well known for having a terrible wake for any kind of wake sport in the early years. I was looking at early 90's ski brendellas before I bought my Nautique.

I would suggest to stay away from any MB sold prior to at least 2000. I cant say I know much about the 2000+ MB's. We test drove a B52 wide body that was a 2010 model. It was ok, and the price was all right. Nothing I would have drooled over though

stinky_1
03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Looking at some pics of the style your talking about now. It should throw a decent wake.

The question I have is what is a "good deal" on them. I wouldnt pay much for any direct drive. If I was looking in the $15K+ market I would ONLY buy a Vdrive.

If your MB is about the same price as a sunsport then I would go for it. If its $10K plus, I would save my money and buy a Vdrive.

This is just my opinion though. How about some pics?

DAFF
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Same look as this one only the colours are red and black. Came factory with sacks and tower.

http://cranbrook.en.craigslist.ca/boa/2268419251.html