PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question...and Sure Power 1315

03bamaGT
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I have searched and found various information on batteries and isolators. But can't seem to get some concrete information, or at least I haven't really been able to find it.

First, I am wanting to get more reliability out of the Conbrio by upgrading the electrical a bit.

I ordered the DB Electrical 105A 1 wire alternator, and am ordering the Sure Power 1315 and going to run 2 batteries as well as bigger wiring and supporting stuff.

My main question is, what have yall done different on the install of the Sure Power? Is there a need for some sort of regulator inline between the alternator and the isolator? A relay/breaker? And does it charge both batteries when they need to be?

Also, what batteries are you guys running? I'm not looking to spend a ton because all I have stereo wise is 1 small amp and 6 speakers.

I'm just trying to get all my research done before jumping into this. Thanks in advance.

Okie Boarder
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
You might do some research talking to Sure Power. I was talking with a vendor about the application of putting it in a boat in a somewhat isolated compartment. That vendor started talking to their application engineers and design engineers and they expressed concerns stating the unit gets "very hot". I haven't gotten a final word from them, but it sounds like looking at another solution is in the cards for me. I'm thinking I'll either go with one of the switch plus VSR's or go with the Hellroaring set up.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I am pretty sure I use a 1314, not the 1315. Please get in touch with PolarBill/BrettYates on wakeworld for confirmation and questions.

I have not heard any issues about heat before with the SurePower. It is used commonly in a marine environment. I personally have never felt it hot to the touch or ever noticed it putting out any heat at all. I will look for this ASAP my first time out and report back, but this is news to me.

Okie Boarder
03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Mikey, please do. The feedback I got was enough for me to put the brakes on the plan to use it, but if it works ok in application I liked it's simple design and low cost.

Where is yours mounted?

Edit: bama, I think the 1315 isn't necessary. The difference between the 1314 and 1315 is one way versus two way, respectively. The way I understand it, the two way is more for if you you two batteries to be charged without one of them having a priority. They told me it was more for an RV type application. For charging your "house" battery as second priority and the "engine" battery as first priority the one way seems to be the right solution.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Both my batteries and the SurePower are mounted in the spotter's seat compartment. Also the Simer ballast pump and a few spare parts/belts and there is still room for some gear storage. It is crammed full regularly.

I will contact Brett.

Okie Boarder
03-24-2011, 04:17 PM
OK, mine would go in a similar place. I cut out the back wall of that spotter seat are and the floor of the storage behind it so it is open all through that area. There is a new "wall in place to close it off from the bilge where the cooler is. I have my batteries toward the port side as far forward as you can get and the Sure Power would work real well mounted right above them. If you have yours in that compartment and haven't had problems, where I'm thinking to mount it would probably work. I'm not sure why they raised such a red flag.

I already messaged Brett today and he recommended talking to Sure Power, since he wasn't real sure on the questions I was asking.

pap
04-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Any follow-up on this?

I have a (new to me) 09 21V that has single battery. Prior owner brought a portable charge unit on board, but I think i'd rather have a deep cycle battery to run electronics and another battery to start the boat. I've read and read and it's very confusing, but this surepower unit seems a good way to get two batteries hooked up relatively easily.

Okie Boarder
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I talked to one of the engineers at Sure Power the other day and he said to be aware it will get rather hot so mount it where it can get a little airflow and that should help. I'm probably going to mount it in the storage compartment with the batteries and amps on the wall where I have my distribution blocks. I'm thinking of putting it on some sort of standoff type brackets so it will get a little extra airflow and not be touching the carpet at all.

Swamplandkarl
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Bep makes a VSR with switch that works very well for a dual battery set-up and is very easy to install.

I have also attached a picture,

The 714-100A uses our dual sensing VSR (710-125A-DS). A welcome addition to the 701 selector switch it ensures you will always have a fully charged reserve battery. When the switch is in position 1 it becomes the sensing battery for the VSR. Battery 2 which is in isolation will be charged via the VSR when the engine is running ensuring it is always fully charged. When the switch is in battery 2 position this becomes the sensing battery and battery 1 is charged via the VSR. The fact that there is always a fully charged battery in reserve is a huge safety factor.

Dimensions
138L x 69W x 75H mm
5.4L x 2.7W x 3H inches

Okie Boarder
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
The downside to the BEP or similar systems is the manual switch and the cost. The Sure Power, and a few of the other isolater type systems out there are all automatic. Most of them are less expensive too.

viking
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
blueseas add-a-battery is awesome imo.

Okie Boarder
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
By the way, after my battery only lasting about 3 hours on the maiden voyage, I ordered the 1314. I'll probably be putting it on some time in the next couple weeks and I'll report back. With the concerns about heat, I'm going to mount it where it gets air flow and isn't touching things like carpet.

Swamplandkarl
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Okie...

This BEP is automatic, the switch gives you the option to change what battery is isolated and in a emergency you can select to start with both batteries.
Best of both worlds.

And something else the Blueseas add a battery does not have the option to change the isolated battery in the boat, the only way to do so would be to switch the batteries around or move the cables thats what makes the BEP a better choice.

There are a lot of options and different ways to manage multiple batteries.

Swamp......

oldman
04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
By the way, after my battery only lasting about 3 hours on the maiden voyage, I ordered the 1314. I'll probably be putting it on some time in the next couple weeks and I'll report back. With the concerns about heat, I'm going to mount it where it gets air flow and isn't touching things like carpet.

Went boating everyday for a full week and weekend on Lake Anna. My 1315 200 amp isolator worked perfect, keeping both batteries fully charged.
Cool to the touch the whole time.

Okie Boarder
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I got the 1314 all mounted up and installed this weekend. I'll post some pictures on my other thread. I played with it with a charger on the main battery and it was pretty cool hearing it click on and off, just like it is supposed to. I left it on the charger for quite a while on the 15A setting. It appears that if I put the charger on the main battery, I charge both in the process which is kind of nice. It got pretty warm...kind of about the same as the heat sink on the back of a stereo or an amp that is working pretty good. I could keep my finger on it for several seconds before I felt like I wanted to remove it. I have about 3/8" between it and the carpet behind it, so I think it will work fine. I'll just keep an eye on it and check it here and there for a while until I know it isn't going to be a problem.

BadbluSi
04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Ok, I've been doing lots of searching on this topic, need some advice!! On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is this install using one of the mentioned products?? The qoute I got from my dealer was $450!! I think that's insane and am somewhat mechanically inclined. Is there a how to or directions somewhere I haven't seen?!

jmpotter
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok, I've been doing lots of searching on this topic, need some advice!! On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is this install using one of the mentioned products?? The qoute I got from my dealer was $450!! I think that's insane and am somewhat mechanically inclined. Is there a how to or directions somewhere I haven't seen?!

SurePower 1314 + 1315 instructions

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Transportation/Resources/instructions/BUS_CBT_INST_180126a.pdf