PDA

View Full Version : OT Truck tires

mapleleaf
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
A little off topic, but here goes.
I bought a set of BFG All terrains for my Tundra 1 1/2 yrs ago. they've got plenty of tread left, have maybe put 30k miles on them, but have had them balanced 4 times! Had them rebalanced for the 4th time last weekend by my Toyota dealer who I trust and he was very unhappy with them. I've never had to balance a set of tires this many times so it's got me wondering.
I bought them at Discount Tire for what seemed like a great price, but after smashed locknut's, 1 stripped lugbolt and all this balancing I'm just not sure. I know that the first 2 issues are a result of poor workmanship at Discount, but the balancing has me puzzled. Is it possible that Discount is buying factory second's and reselling them? I have talked at length with the regional manager in MI about this and he has assured me that they will "take care of me" on my next visit, but is it even worth it?
Just never had this much trouble with a set of tires and I've been buying BFG's for 15yrs......

beast 496
03-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Very odd, Are your shocks good? another item which often goes unlooked is water or mud inside the tire. I have had sand in several of mine. When ever i have a set balanced, I asked to have the tires dismounted and cleaned, vacuumed and wiped dry on the inside. Al

mapleleaf
03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Interesting points Al, Shocks all around are new (6 months), however didn't think about the inside being dirty. The tires have worn unevenly with a good alignment through out their life (aligned twice since purchase to try and solve some of these issues. With what looks like another 30k of life left I think the next rebalance will include a removal and cleaning. For reference sake, the right front has 150 grams on it to be balanced.....

beast 496
03-24-2011, 12:55 AM
I would have the tire removed and have the rim spun on the balancer, see how much the rims are out of balance if any. 150 gms is alot
Al

angus2112
03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
have them road forced balanced. hunter makes the machine it puts force on the tire while balancing. you are probably going to find the side wall has to much give that makes the tire act like it is out of balance .

Tackleberry
03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
It's funny that you mention this. I have ALWAYS had trouble out of BFG AT's and MT's. Keeping them balanced and from cupping is a pain in the backside. I've had 33"x12.50"x15's on two different trucks, and while they last a good while and are good in the mud, they are a pain to keep balanced.

brysteele
03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Always had Bfg all Terrain KO on my previous Ford F250 w/no issues. Now have 08 Tundra Crew max w/bfg KO and having to get balanced every 10k. Last set only got 30k out of them. Find it funny I had better luck with the BFG on a heavier truck. The tundra seems to wear the tires more, causing more balancing and shorten the lifespan of the tire. Love the truck but seems to eat tires w/aggresive tread design.

Tackleberry
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
It may be something with the Tundra too. My dad has an 07 Tundra Crewmax 2wd, and that thing goes through tires like Charlie Sheen goes through a bag of coke.

DAFF
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Perhaps the wheel weights are moving on the rim??? Deep snow here in the north this winter. Keep an eye out for a summer set of tires and rims for the truck. If you can find a set cheap enough then you could determine if it is the tires or the truck.

Are the tires wearing good?? If so then the vibration could be an axle that is bent or something else in the drive line. I had a set of mud TA's on a older CJ7 and never had an issue with balance or vibrations. Seems to me there might be more to this ....

jet
03-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Maple..even NEW factory shocks SUCK!! Dont overlook them because they are new. They are very MUSHY and weak. I have had 2-pair of BF's on my trailer for 6yrs each..ran and raced them on my Porsche. love them. Jet

mapleleaf
03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh don't get me wrong Jet, I love BFG's...It's maybe more about the product and service I got at Discount....No repeat business from me, 2 of their locations in MI have helped in that decision. I find, like Tackleberry, that my Tundra gobbles up tires, seems as though a midsize pickup really shouldn't be fitted with heavy duty tires...... She's getting traded in for an'08 at the end of summer so we'll see how the new one wears 'em out......

ditchsnake
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
If you have one wheel that takes a lot of weight they can break the bead and spin the tire quarter turns on the rim until the required amount of weight goes down. Had a ford truck with big pathfinders on it and they had to do that for me lots of times. Really helps. They also have a plate that bolts to their balancer and attaches with your lug nuts instead of using the collar on the center of the wheel. The manager at my local discount tire is a buddy of mine and he told me it makes a big difference doing it that way, it just takes them more time to balance a tire. He also told me if you have nice rims and you don't want weight on the front side it's best to use tape weights as far to the front as possible and use weights on the rear side. My truck was a super duty with a desiel so it was as heavy as they get and still had problems with balance on big tires. They got them balanced every time though. Had to go back twice a couple of times.

mapleleaf
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Given the responses in this thread I think I will ask and or insist on some other balancing other then the standard, my wife's truck has the inner stick on weights for balancing, don't know if they're any better, but the sure look cool.....
I've had this truck 6 yrs now and she's got lot's of life left, but Toyota's got a deal he 's making hard to pass up ( kinda owes me I took care of his reno) so we'll see what the new one brings......

ditchsnake
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I really like my truck because i pull heavy but if I only had a boat the only truck I would consider is a Toyota. Had a T100 when they first came out and then a Tundra, best trucks I ever owned. Either one was ever in the shop. Not even once. My new Chev HD has almost 4000 on it and it's been in once for a sensor problem. And I thought that was good.

mapleleaf
03-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Just in case you're curious, she does know the truck deal is happening!!!!! I've just followed the dealer's maintenance schedule and have not any trouble....except these tires!!!