PDA

View Full Version : Slight deck problem

Sunsport87
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
87 sunsport. 2 small soft spots on deck. This past season I noticed 2 soft spots in the deck. Each about 8 to 10 inched in area. After reading the post on the wood rot I'm certain this is the problem. Is my only option to do a complete tearup and replace the entire deck? I have lots of other things I need to do like replace the steering system (getting very hard to turn the wheel), speedo's, carb and need to budget accordingly if I have no other option but to replace the entire deck.

mapleleaf
03-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Sounds like you're due for the same rebuild that a lot of guys here have endured, their accounts make it add up for them, but I guess your value of your boat and the necessary investment for rebuild will be up to you. There's nothing wrong with putting it off as long as you can(I'd check your motor mount bolts for tightness soon)and stay in line with what is safe for you, your pass, and the rest of us on your lake! As far as the steering goes, I had the same problem and after replacing my cable it was still bad, turns out I had a bent rudder shaft, I'd start with the rudder and go from there...
Good luck with your research, haven't done my stringers and floor yet, but pretty much everything else and it's been worth every penny whether I get it back or not.....

sybrmike
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Bummer on the soft spots, but maybe you'll get lucky & the stringers are still good (it's the minority, but it does happen). Regardless of the scale of needed repairs, like Maple said - it's always a personal decision on whether or not it's worth it to you. Good luck!

Sunsport87
03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Good advice. I love this boat and I think the investment is woth it. I have called around to some local dealers and can't find anyone who has experience doing a deck repl. On a Supra. I live near Nashville TN. Thank s for tip on the steering. i would have stareted with the cable.