PDA

View Full Version : water intake impeller

ditchsnake
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
There is a rubber water intake impeller that is supposed to be changed out every two years. Where is it and how difficult is it to change. Sorry, it's on a 2008 22 ssv.

stinky_1
03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Usually you will find it in a metal housing being driven by a pulley off the front of your engine. Access to the actual impeller is not always super easy, but it is not impossible.

Look under your boat for your fresh water pickup. Once you see that, have a look inside the boat in the rough location you saw it underneath. You should see a hose going from there to the housing on the engine block. Your impeller is inside that.

I know most people say to change those every 2 years, I usually pull it out at the start of a new season and have a look. Throw some jelly on it before you put it back though. If some of the fins are cracking, melted, or otherwise look bad then certainly change it. I just keep a spare one in the boat with me and a wrench to get at it. If you notice your temp is going up its prolly your impeller gone. Takes less than 30 mins to change on the lake if you had to. I have found I get closer to 4+ years out of them. Just watch the dry startups and it will last.

I know I have answered your question generally and was not specifically very helpfull. If I had your boat I would be more help. For now it should get you started in the right direction until someone else can tell you exactly what you need to know

Sluggo
03-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Ditch,

I think there are two schools of thought here on the V drives. The impeller housing is located on the front of the engine, which in our case faces the rear of the boat. It will have three smallish brass screws that need to be removed to allow the removable of the impeller. In order for the impeller to push the necessary water and create the vacuum the rubber fins are a very tight fit. Given the location of the impellar housing, the mufflers and lack of space and visibility can make this a tough job (but not impossible). I personally perfer to remove the whole housing from the pully with three allen bolts and one bolt for the stablizer bar. Removed the two hoses which are also easy to get at, and then take the whole housing to the work bench. I have heard a lot of different ways to get stuborn impellers out, but patience, PB Blaster, and needle noose pliers usually do the trick. Don't forget to be careful with those cover plate screws as they are only brass and the heads can twist off if you put too much pressure on them. Another helpful hint I have read here is to lubricate the new impeller so it comes out easier next time. Hope this helps.

Dave

ditchsnake
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Thats why I love this site. Those are both great and helpful posts. Thanks, Gene

Tackleberry
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Makes me glad I have a direct drive. Easy as pie to change out. But, with that said, I put a new one in each season. I use the one I pull out as a spare just in case.

ditchsnake
03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
so what does a new impeller cost. Need gasgets too probably.

Sluggo
03-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Here is the impeller for $32 and gasket is available too for just another $4. I would suggest calling just to make sure you get the right one, but pretty sure this is it.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061022

Fman
03-30-2011, 01:23 AM
This is a good video that will help you out:

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

ditchsnake
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
This is a good video that will help you out:

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

Logged that under my favorites. Great videa. Makes sense of everything that was said.Thanks