PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheel clear coat...

Okie Boarder
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Anyone have ideas on how to remove clear coat off steel chrome wheels. My wheels look like crap because the clear is peeling in some spots and foggy in others. I'd love to remove it completely and either paint the wheels or polish them, if the chrome didn't get ruined in the clear removal process.

jzelt
03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Autozone (a local auto parts supply) has in their paint section, clear coat remover along with other removers in a spray can by Rustoleum.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=388

jet
04-02-2011, 06:40 PM
okie, at that point its best to replace! I found ranger ford chrome torqued 5 stars $25 bucks ea. The stud pattern is 4.5 inches. You can find lots of rimzs in that sizel

Blackntan90
04-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I am going through this process myself, did not know about the clear coat remover , Jet-you only had to buy 2 wheels!(man I hate my local autozone!) but if it works... There is nothing wrong with my wheels, except the clear(not really clear anymore). I did pick up a media blast gun at Harbor freight, I have been testing it on various things around the house with baking soda with very good results. I will post pic's of the before and after once it stops raining here, and I can start on this project.