PDA

View Full Version : '86 TS6M Cooling

Jetlink
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Purchased a TS6M last June and spent a considerable amount of time fixing previous owners mistakes. Had it professionally winterized just for sake of mind to have them catch anything that I might not. Think I did pretty good at fixing it over the summer as the only major glaring issue is that they recommended replacing all the engine cooling lines as they are showing signs of deterioration. My question comes in, I had them price it out both parts and labor and they said that they had trouble locating all the parts for the job. I am pretty sure that there are some of you who have done this job before and any help in how you went about locating parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

dshaff24
03-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I believe it was skidim.com that has them

Hagman
03-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Ben
I also have a 86 comp. 5 years ago I got all of the hoses I need from Napa. There isn’t very much presser on the hoses compared automotive. And if all else fails you can get all of the hose lines including the 3” exhaust through Overtones. Do it your self all you need is a knife and a screwdriver.
Ron

Jetlink
04-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the quick replies and info. I will be sure to check it all out. I wasn't sure if Napa would be an acceptable route. If anything, this boat has given me a reason to roll out the old tool box.

Ron, when you went in to Napa, did you just ask for hoses for a ford 351 V-8 and kinda make it up as they asked you the typical prompts or did you take the hoses off and take those in to match up?

Ben

Hagman
04-01-2011, 03:14 AM
I took a pice of the old hose with me and the parts man matched up.

dshaff24
04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
just make sure the hoses have the metal coil inside them.. It keeps them from compressing and cutting off water supply if you go to an auto parts store

sybrmike
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Skidim has all the marine hoses you'll need. They sell it by the foot & you just measure, order, & cut to length. If you go automotive, I'd get wire reinforced for at least the section from thru-hull intake to the raw water pump suction. The rest is under pressure.

I don't know about the 351, but my 454 has one pre-molded hose from the water pump to the tstat housing - they had that one too.

96Comp
04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Now that I am posting to the correct thread, how often do you replace the cooling hoses ? Mine are a couple of years old.

jet
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
jetlink #2..because i was Jet first! Lol. Theowner of that boat did a pretty good job on everything? Im familiure with it?? Did you find other probs?? Hagman..nice engine man..nice.

Jetlink
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Haha, the name I picked is our ATC call sign at work. So that is where that comes from. I ended up re-wiring the whole boat from the nav lights up front all the way back to the anchor light, new bilge pump and wiring for that. New side panels with switch breakers as the previous owner just had toggle switches in there when the switch breakers would fail. New gauges all around except the speedos and the tach, added a depth gauge and a few sending units. Did a tune-up, new bunks on the trailer, re-wired the trailer and replaced most of the lights with LEDs. New tires on the trailer as well. All that in the first weekend or two of getting it home from Indianapolis where I purchased it.

Speaking of trailer, after I redid the bunks, I now have an issue of the rear end of the boat sliding around when trailering it around corners, no matter how slow a speed. Any ideas for that?

jet
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
hmm? I have never heard of that. I would just buckle it down with some straps.

Blackntan90
04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
You gotta strap 'em down! Plus what if you hit a bump at hiway speed, and she slams down on the trailer? Be nice to her and she will love you back!

Jetlink
04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
You gotta strap 'em down! Plus what if you hit a bump at hiway speed, and she slams down on the trailer? Be nice to her and she will love you back!

Where do you strap it down at? There are no places on the trailer and I don't have any transom tie downs on the boat. In that situation, do you just get a 4-inch strap and just go from one trailer rail over the boat to the other rail? I am out of town at the moment but will be back in the morning to take a picture of what I am talking about. Again, with the old bunks and the worn out bunk carpet it was never an issue. Guess the new material is just really slick.

Hagman
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
86 comp , on tie downs on the back, what ??? Last spring I finely got around to refinishing the trailer. I made a list of all materials that I was going to need and order them . jacked the boat off the trailer .Tore every thing apart . Rented that grate big diesel sand blaster and washed the paint off. Got the grinder and welder out touched up a few spots that the factory hadn’t dun a very good job on and added some tie down hoops so it could tie down the back of the boat. Any way .. Put the boat back on the trailer. Got the last thing out of my box of new parts the tie down straps want to put them onnnnn. It never cross my mind Supra hadn’t installed tie down hoops on the boat . O well it’s been 24 years that’s something I can put on the Christmas list. So now I the have hoops. I put instilling them on my someday Saturday to do list but I’m not to motivated to pull the gas tank for the install after all it's been 25 years. I know it needs to get dun... nascar is coming on.

jet
04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Forget the tie downs, tell us about the 4-blade?? What are the specs on her?

Hagman
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I went from a 13x13 3 blade to a OJ 13x12.5 4 blade I’m not sure of the cup. The trany is a 1 to1 at 4400 rpm I get 45.2 mph . There is just a little better hole shot the boat runs way smoother and I think that the wake is softer. I’m very pleased . Remember I’m a short line skier only.

beast 496
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
If the tail end is moving around, it sounds like to me, the new bunks are not countoured properly to the hull bottom. I suspect the majority of the weight of the boat is now centered on the hull and not equally distributed. Al

mapleleaf
04-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Hagman great decals on your trailer... Big fan of the moulding storage location!! where else, but under the boat!