PDA

View Full Version : Engine Lifting Question

Okie Boarder
04-02-2011, 09:24 AM
In the fall when I winterized, I managed to break the fitting at the bottom of the oil pan that goes to the drain hose. I struggled to find a fitting that swiveled so I wouldn't have to life the engine. In talking with DIM, it seemed like they had a solution with the swivel fitting, hose and everything. I received that part yesterday and the part of the elbow fitting I need to have swivel doesn't swivel. I need somewhere around an inch of clearance. So, what's going to be the best way to get that, in your opinion?

I was thinking I could straddle the span with a couple 2x4's tied together and ratchet strap the back end of the engine / trans after undoing the lag screws holding the mounts in. Would the 2x4's and the gunnels support the weight?

The other option I was thinking about would be to just turn the rear adjusters up enough to give me the clearance.

cadunkle
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Use a chain with a bolt in the back of a head on each side. Or use a load leveler with a bolt at the end of each head. Many of these marine engines have lifting rings on the engines already, if yours does just put a hook or clevis through each with a chain and lift. Have one person working the hoist and another holding the engine steady and it'll want to swing or drop or whatever.

Okie Boarder
04-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Actually, only the rear portion of the motor needs to be lifted and only about an inch. I'm not trying to remove it.

I only need enough clearance to thread in the elbow fitting at the oil pan drain hole.

jet
04-02-2011, 06:06 PM
The new boat is already broken?? Lol

yes it should hold that up no prob.