PDA

View Full Version : The tale of two towers

TitanTn
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I need some help deciding on the best tower. The two I've narrowed it down to are almost the same thing, but some slight differences. First, does anyone have experience with either of these? And other than that, what about some opinions on which will look better on my boat. There is no wrong answer. Thanks!

http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=250&CartID=1

http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/torrent/

jet
04-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I think I like the Bulletlines best, but Its a toss up. No history with me on those towers though. Wakeworld will have alot of input over on there website. Pretty popular tower. Jet

chrisk
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Titan,

I personally think the bulletlines is also the best option. I think the Big Air Torrent is a little bit much for an older Supra. I like the clean lines of the bullet line. Also, I'm going to recommend the Aerial Airborne tower to anybody considering towers for older supras, I love mine and think it looks great. Here's a link to the tower and to a pick of my boat with it installed. Price is the same as your two choices also.

http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-AIR225-PA

https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=153&pictureid=1306

Chris

mapleleaf
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm all in on the bullet tower, that's the one I plan on putting on my boat, I'd rather buy the racks then be stuck with intergrated ones...
I understand that some of these aftermarket towers come with their share of issues (bolts loosening, etc...) for the money I feel this is an issue that I can handle myself. I wouldn't expect that with say a New Dimensions or the like....

sydneyACE
04-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I vote fot the Bulletlines too.

TitanTn
04-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Chris - Thanks for bringing up the Aerial. That is another one I've considered and I've see several pics of your boat with that tower. The color combination of your boat with that tower is one of the best I've seen. It looks so good it has made me want to consider a black tower, but it's just not going to look right on my mostly white boat.

Maple - I agree. I've heard about the re-tightening issues, but I think I may be able to make some improvements during installation or I'll be able to deal with it regardless. I wouldn't expect this out of a New Dimensions, but the price is twice as much as I'm looking to pay.

Everyone - I'm convinced between the two options that the Krypt (Bulletlines) would look the best. But now Chris has got me second guessing the Aerial. Can anyone offer thoughts on one versus the other for a better installation process, or matching the vintage of the boat better?

csuggs
04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Titan - not to confuse matters more, but . . . . since you're in Eastern TN have you thought about a custom tower from MTS in Vonore? They did mine about this time last year and I've been very happy because it follows the lines on my 86 Sunsport. We just told them to make it look like it "belonged" on my boat.
I purchased my board racks from Bulletlines (Krypt) and they have been excellent to work with - I like the company. So I feel certain that purchasing a tower from them would be a good experience as well.
Clint

TitanTn
04-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Clint- I appreciate that info. I didn't know about MTS. I really like that option but the cost is 150% more than these Chinese towers. I just don't know if I can justify that difference. This is assuming that the flat rate of $2,500 quoted on their site is accurate for my boat.

csuggs
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Hmm. I didn't know they cost that much now. I'm sure mine was under $2000 installed at Viper.

sybrmike
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Just my .02, but of the two options you mentioned I think the Krypt would look better on the Salt. Unlike your new great looking vinyl font & carbon weave dash that update the vintage without looking out of place - I think the Arial is trying too hard & just doesn't blend with the era. Although it's hard to find anything that matches the angle of our square windshield any better than ND (but ouch on the price).

That being said, I don't think the Titan II leaning against the wall in my garage is going to blend all that well with the lines on my Salt - but the engineer in me was a sucker for the triangulated wishbone & it's my boat dammit ("she" doesn't like the way it looks). So I say go with whichever you like best & feel most comfortable with regarding reviews, installation, etc - it's your boat.

TitanTn
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Mike. I agree. I've had all these same thoughts bouncing around in my head and it's great to hear them validated. I have felt like the rear vertical support on the Aerial looks like a Klingon bat'leth. It seems to be a newer style than what matches my boat.

Clint - I emailed MTS and they said they're running a special right now (I'm assuming they run this "special" a lot) and the price is $1,700 for a custom tower. That is getting a little closer. I've asked them if this includes installation. I might consider this. Thanks again for the lead.

But once more, there are more options than I can assimilate!

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Another vote for the Krypt. Plus i wouldn't want the permanent racks in the other. Be nice to have the option for the tower to evolve into whatever you need it most for.

Maybe you could talk them into throwing in a pair of their HLCD's if you go with the Krypt ... :rolleyes:

Okie Boarder
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd go for the Krypt out of those two, but I'd also throw in a vote for the Aerial Airborne. I think that tribal-like rear arm style of the Big Air doesn't really match up with the classic styling on the older Supras.

chrisk
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't have any experience with the bulletlines tower feet, but I do know that one of the things I really like about my Aerial is that the feet of the legs are very clean and nice looking. They're rounded chrome feet that just make the tower I feel. I've seen some towers (even factory towers on some early 2000's v-drives) that have feet on them that just don't look like they belong, and make it really look like an add-on. It's these little things that you'll have to look at every time you're in your boat and will make your purchase seem worthwhile in your mind.

Also, depending on where you're storing your boat, you may really want to avoid permanent board racks. I know for me, I have to take my racks off to fit it in my storage facility.

For bolt tightening issues, are you talking about the bolts at the hinges of the tower? Or the bolts that hold the tower to the fiberglass of the boat? I'm assuming you mean the hinges, because my mounting bolts along with backing plates and a bonding agent has kept the tower rock solid from the very beginning. I know when I first had my Aerial they only offered bolts that required allan wrenches to tighten them, that was a pain. I took matters into my own hands and purchased bolts with 2 or 3 inch diameter knobs on the ends of them to make tightening and loosening every time I come in and out of my dock easier. Since the, Aerial has started selling chrome versions of these knobbed-bolts so tightening the bolts is very easy.

Wow, sorry that became so lengthy.

chrisk
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Another thought, I just looked through your thread at your boat, and I personally think you might want to at least consider black. If you have photoshop or something similar maybe you could work something up just to see how it would look. You might be surprised with your black windshield frame, black lettering, black pylon, black rubrail, black dash, and black transom vents. Just a thought, I really think that as long as you get the correct shape of tower for your boat it's hard to go wrong on the color (silver or black). But I know you probably want to make sure you get exactly what you want out of it.

I'm just free this afternoon and looking to add my two cents!

TitanTn
04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Chris - thanks for all of those thoughts. I'm not sure on anything right now. I have looked at the black option. The Aerial gallery page in which you have several photos of your beautiful boat, has a Saltare in my color scheme with a black tower. http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-tower/supra/supra.asp
I'm just still not sure.

The functionality and appearance of the feet is important to me as well. I've seen some decent looking towers that have some very ugly feet and look like an after-thought. Just something else to weigh-in on this decision.

SupraMisfit
04-06-2011, 12:30 AM
The bulletlines looks pretty nice. I also like New Dimension towers on older Supras. They dont have the sweeping lines of the bulletlines but the style fits these older boats.
http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/supra/images/1986-1991_Saltare.jpg

csuggs
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Titan, I meant to add a pic yesterday of the MTS (Marine Tower Systems) custom tower that is on my boat. This pic was taken in Viper's shop just after I brought it back from MTS in Vonore.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/112.jpg

Ptownkid
04-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm actually in the process of getting an order together for the bulletlines/krypt style tower direct from the manufacturer.

My friend and I are starting an online tower and boat accessory business and my plan was to offer up a discounted package to everyone on this forum on the initial order.

I should have more details soon.

Cheers

wotan2525
04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Chris - thanks for all of those thoughts. I'm not sure on anything right now. I have looked at the black option. The Aerial gallery page in which you have several photos of your beautiful boat, has a Saltare in my color scheme with a black tower. http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-tower/supra/supra.asp
I'm just still not sure.

The functionality and appearance of the feet is important to me as well. I've seen some decent looking towers that have some very ugly feet and look like an after-thought. Just something else to weigh-in on this decision.

Since we have twin boats, I wanted to weigh in. I've been spending way too much money and stress to "de-black" my boat. The only things left on it at this point that are black are the rear vents (haven't found SS ones that I like, yet) and the windshield frame. One of these springs I'll be ambitious enough to pull the windshield frame off and rebuild it. It certainly won't be black.

My tower is white and will be remaining so until it's replaced. Can't justify the expense at this point, however. It's certainly a function over fashion thing.

TitanTn
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks Clint. I've been enjoying this pic all afternoon. Beautiful boat and beautiful tower.

TitanTn
04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Since we have twin boats, I wanted to weigh in. I've been spending way too much money and stress to "de-black" my boat. The only things left on it at this point that are black are the rear vents (haven't found SS ones that I like, yet) and the windshield frame. One of these springs I'll be ambitious enough to pull the windshield frame off and rebuild it. It certainly won't be black.

My tower is white and will be remaining so until it's replaced. Can't justify the expense at this point, however. It's certainly a function over fashion thing.

Embrace the black! I'm still not sure that black is right for my tower, but I don't mind the black accents.

Hagman
04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Back vents from I think 05 supra Launch on a 86 comp. I know it’s a bad picture but there chrome . I think thay were about $10 ec.

chrisk
04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Just another tid-bit I thought of with add-on towers, I noticed that the bulletlines model folds backwards to the stern - the Aerial also does this and I view it as a disadvantage. While it does fold up and down very easily (one person can easily manage it) it gets in the way when it's down. For me, I'm folding it down every time I get off the water because I'm putting my boat on a covered shorestation. While I wouldn't trade the covered slip for anything, it would make the process of cleaning up the boat after a day on the water much easier if I didn't have to constantly step over the tower.

I like CSUGG's MTS tower in that it folds forward over the bow. If you're a guy that trailers every day and rarely folds the tower down.... then nevermind :)

csuggs
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Chris - when I told Jim @ Viper what I wanted we decided that because I store my boat in the garage (through a 10'W x 8'H door) I would have to fold the tower down daily and I wanted to be able to work on the boat with it folded down, so it folds to the front. With the tower down, the windshield is still the highest place on the boat!

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02217a.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02219a.jpg

Titan - I don't know if you need your tower to fold or not? If you do then MTS may be the way to go. If not, then you have many choices of quality towers. Keep in mind that a good quality install is as important as a good quality tower.

chrisk
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
CSUGGS, yeah that really is a nice feature. Also, is your tower resting on your bow handrail when folded down? If so, that's also nice. When I fold mine down towards the stern it rests on the vinyl trim pieces along either side of the boat. If left there I imagine it would deform or scratch the vinyl, so I had to cut a piece of PVC that cradles the rope holder that holds the whole tower off of everything when folded down.

wotan2525
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Back vents from I think 05 supra Launch on a 86 comp. I know it’s a bad picture but there chrome . I think thay were about $10 ec.

Those are nice but I need some that will cover the original square vents mounting holes. At least until I figure out how to get color-matched marine-tex!

csuggs
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
CSUGGS, yeah that really is a nice feature. Also, is your tower resting on your bow handrail when folded down? If so, that's also nice. When I fold mine down towards the stern it rests on the vinyl trim pieces along either side of the boat. If left there I imagine it would deform or scratch the vinyl, so I had to cut a piece of PVC that cradles the rope holder that holds the whole tower off of everything when folded down.

Chris - yes, the tower rests on the bow rails. Not shown in the pic are the foam pipe insulation pieces I have cut to fit over the section of the bow rail where the tower rests - just to keep from scratching things. Of course, I always tow with the tower up so then I take the foam pieces off the bow rails and store them below. Works out well for us.

TitanTn
04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Clint - you've about got me convinced. I'm going to call MTS this afternoon.

Tim405
04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey folks - I just installed an Aerial Freeride Tower on our 98' legacy - other than some re-engineering of the attach points ( backing plates were teeny - so I made them waaay bigger from .090 Alum) - I really like the way it looks on our boat - it is a bear to fold and it does only fold forward ABOVE the windshield - but... it looks pretty killer and we haven't had any problems yet as far as vibration/loosening etc...I had to do some fine tuning and trimming etc...(about 2 days worth) but everyone so far digs it - and we're happy with it...just disappointed that yes, it was Hecho en China...but, it is what it is...

Ptownkid
04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
All of the affordable towers (with the exception of monster) are made in china.

stinky_1
05-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I like both of the original options listed. I personally bought the torrent tower for my boat from a company in Vancouver BC. I think I got a good price on it and am happy with the looks. My father in law put the same tower on his 85 ss.

I liked the idea of the racks being integrated into the rear support the way they are. I think it makes it have a new flavor with a style that is very very close to the original supra factory tower. That krypt tower would also keep it looking more factory supra'ish.

No offence to the custom tower on here, its not my style. It looks similar to the Aeriel tower. I didnt like how the lines of it match to the boat. Throw the more roundy windsheild on your boat and that krypt tower and it will look like it belonged from the start. Look through google pics at newer supras and you will see what I mean.

I only went with the torrent because it was the cheapest option I could find at the time that still looked close to factory.

Just my 2 cents. I dont see any reason to pay more for that custom built one. Maybe I am naive though.

jet
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Man..I dont always like the forward swoop but, that one loooks great!! Very cool. Jet

TitanTn
05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I was finally able to pick up my boat today.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tower_front.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tower_back.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tower_right.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tower_right_front.jpg

DAFF
05-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Titan on an engineering standpoint the custom tower is way superior. Sure it doesnt have the instant flash of some of the others but it will last 10x's longer. By having 3 mounts on each side of the boat greatly drecreases the stresses on the top cap and will feel much more ridgid over time. Good choice.

Has anyone added some clear to there tower with a hint or colour to give it a candy apple look ??

csuggs
05-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Very nice, Titan. That tower is from MTS?

TitanTn
05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes. It's an MTS tower. I really like the tower design and the craftsmanship. I was less than pleased with the care in which they handled the interior, but the tower is exactly what I wanted.

csuggs
05-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes. It's an MTS tower. I really like the tower design and the craftsmanship. I was less than pleased with the care in which they handled the interior, but the tower is exactly what I wanted.

Now that you mention it, I think I experienced the same thing. They did not harm anything, but did not clean-up very well when finished. The craftsmanship is definitely there though - looks great on your boat!

sybrmike
05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Man, that tower looks great & right at home on your Saltare. Very New Dimensionesque.

TitanTn
05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Now that you mention it, I think I experienced the same thing. They did not harm anything, but did not clean-up very well when finished. The craftsmanship is definitely there though - looks great on your boat!

They actually destroyed the hinges on the little access door under the sink area. I just installed new hinges before I took it there. They also pulled some of the red piping loose on the upholstery.

Okie Boarder
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
That definitely looks really nice. The design seems just right.

stinky_1
05-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Ill post pics of my new tower as well. I just installed it today. Have a few bolts to tighten up and get the racks on first.