PDA

View Full Version : Prop-shaft to strut measurement 84 Rider

sydneyACE
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Ok, I could use some help here guys.

The guy I bought my boat from removed the engine to replace the stringers underneath it. I need to reinstall the engine but have no measurements or reference. The only thing I really need to know is how far fwd/back to mount the engine. (The side to side will be taken care of during alignment correct?)

I'm thinking the prop-shaft strut should prob be my starting point since it hasn't been removed. So how about this;
If I slide the prop-shaft to the correct position I should be able match-up the engine/trans (fwd to back) then this should get me in the ball-park to do an alignment. Does this sound right?

Would anyone with an 84ish rider be able to measure the distance from the aft end of the strut to the aft end of the prop-shaft for me?

sybrmike
04-05-2011, 11:05 AM
You should be able to locate the shaft in the strut from wear marks on the shaft from the strut bushings. Then you can use the location of the coupling face to locate the engine/trans fore & aft. I hope it's that easy, cause I'll be facing the same soon with my rebuilt stringers.

sydneyACE
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Mike that's exactly what I was thinking if I can't find a good measurement.

After I got to thinking about it, it shouldn't be that critical as long as the strut is straight (looks to be), and I do a good job aligning the engine properly. As long as they're mated-up properly it should be good, provided the prop has enough clearance between the rudder, strut and hull. The fwd/aft is the only thing that cant really be adjusted after the engine is bolted down.

docdrs
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
shafts do come in different lengths