PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Marine Mufflers???

Juice75
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I ran across some mufflers on skidim.com that fit in place of the exhaust hoses. They're supposed to be simple to install, even on a Supra. Has anybody had any experience with them, or know how well they work?

Just wanting a little input before dropping $114 on them.

-Kraig

kchookie
06-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Purchased a set for my 92 Comp. Not to easy to install. This is not an issue with the Ultra mufflers however. It's an issue with the way the transom pipes are angled into the floor. The 3.5" tubing is a pain to work with. The mufflers sound good, however I have yet to figure out why my boat overheats. Have not used the muffler for any extended period of time. I've replaced the impellar, water hoses, etc.. Haven't figured it out yet. Mine cost $175 each for 3.5in hoses.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-20-2005, 11:42 PM
kchookie,

Regarding you overheating, there are a few more things you might look at. Pull the water hose off the input side of the transmission cooler. I had some overheating problems and it turned out that the passageway through the cooler was about 80% covered with leaves. If that doesnt work, pull the thermostat out and run the boat (temporarily) without it. If the engine stays cold, you know you're getting pleny off supply from the raw water pump. While you have the stat out, throw it in a pot of boiling water to test it or better yet, go ahead and replace it. They're cheap and you might as well do it while you have the housing apart.

If none of this helps. post back with more info and we'll see if we cant diagnose it.

Also, you should never rule out a faulty guage or sending unit. It would kinda suck to replace the whole cooling system just to find out that the engine wasn't overheating and your instrumentation was just lying to you.

Good luck

Cheers,
DKJ