PDA

View Full Version : Engine fume vent hose

Indiana Rob
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I am trying to replace my engine vent hose on our 85 Supra. My problem is that I am having a hard time getting a hose of any size under the gas tank then back up the back of the boat to the factory installed vent holes.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks for any responses.
Rob

Salty87
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
welcome to the board. what model supra do you have?

this pic shows the setup on a saltare fairly well. the bilge blower is mounted under the rear port passenger seat. the gunnel on that side was cut short of the gas tank so the hose could be routed to the side of it. there's a hole in that seat base for the hose to route through. the exhaust side is the white hose which isn't connected to the blower in this pic.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/P9240075.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Saltys right, you don't want to go UNDER the tank, you want to go around it. There should be space to the left or right of the tank. It can be a big pain to get them routed up to your vents on the transom though. Some boats have the rear ski locker that will pull right out. Some do not. You should be able to remove the rear vent and get to it though. Shouldnt have to remove the tank

sybrmike
04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Supra changed the vent hose routing through the years. I think the early-mid 80's came through the floor, under the seat, & around the tank to a common collector box mounted on the transom. The factory layout on my 89 Saltare and Okie's Sunsport looks like this. Note there are spacer blocks on top of the stringers to hold the tank away from the transom so the hose can pass behind.

However you can route them is fine - just make sure you're drawing some air from the lowest point in the bilge since fuel vapors are heavier than air and will settle at the bottom.

wotan2525
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Mine is sort of an odd combination of the two pictures posted. Mine route behind the gas tank into a collector box that pulls fresh air from the bilge. I also have two blowers just like sybrmike. I can tell you that the collector box is factory -- but I can't swear that the routing location is. I added both blowers as the boat was missing both when I bought it.

Indiana Rob
04-10-2011, 10:14 AM
We have a 85 Supra Comp TS6M. Thank you all very much for your input and photos. I will be working on the boat today.
Rob

96Comp
04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Indiana Rob: I've got a 96 comp and one vent hose has split. I was going to drop the replacement from the top and then reach up under the tank. If necessary, I was going to remove the rear nav light and fish it down. I do not want to remove the tank! Replacing the filler tube was hard enough! Let us know how the repair works!

mapleleaf
04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Ok, So the Comps are a little different. My Conbrio has the hose routed around the tank similar to Salty's pic, However those luxury cruise vessel's look to have a little more working room.
I found that every 1/4" matters back there and I wish I'd taken pics, but essentially the best way to replace those hoses is with the gas tank out, even then the rear locker will block the connection to the vent covers. I'd be especially careful if you have to handle a collector box mounted to the transom, with its age it'll brittle...

Indiana Rob
04-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Yesterday after following Salty87's thoughts and photos, I was able to easily get my new hose installed from the rear vent hole on back of boat up to the engine area. Just behind the engine I installed a new vent blower and connected the hose to it. I then removed the rear seat (which was also a easy job) where I found a pre-cut hole near the gas tank where the hose come up and fits very nicely behind the seat. I then was able to fish the hose around the gas tank to the vent hole.

This forum is very helpful and I plan to return frequently as I upgrade my Supra.

Thank you all,
Rob