PDA

View Full Version : Removing transmission!

87 Blue Saltare
01-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Can anyone give me pointers on pulling the tranny off my pcm big block? I know to unhook the drive shaft and make room for it to come back. I know there are main bolts that bolt the bell housing to the back of the engine block. Is there something else underneath the bell housing I need to remove? Thanks guys!

Brian Raymond
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
You can also remove the transmission without taking the bell housing off. There should be 4 or 6 bolts and 1 nut behind each transmission mount. remove the bolts first, then loosen the nuts with a 11/16 wrench. These nuts are on the ends of long studs that go into the bell housing. You may not be able to get the nut all the way off because it will hit the trans. mount, just slide it (the trans.) back until you can remove the nuts. Keep the mounts on, this will make it much easier to handle and move the tranny. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

87 Blue Saltare
01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Beautiful Brian! Got it. Here are some helpful drawings of the velvet drive 1:1 if anyone is interested:
http://www.glen-l.com/inboard/velvetdrive-drawing.html

87 Supra Comp TS6m
04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
My transmission fluid is leaking and I think I've isolated it to the underside where the tranny bolts onto the engine. It started leaking just recently after I let the boat sit awhile with water unbilged. My gut tells me the standing water created a leak in the seal down there. I looks like my challenge in checking/replacing the seal will be know how to properly remove. Looks like it's connected to the drive shaft, engine, and hull. Not sure if I'm using the right words here, but hopefully you get the idea. I'm a novice, but would like to try and do this work myself. Any advice?

knoble
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Just be safe I put a saw horse above the engine and put a chain around it and to the lift eye hole on the rear of the engine. I also put 2x6's below the saw horse to distribute the weight. There is no bolts on the very bottom of the bell housing of the velvet drive. Some of the velvet drives have a long bolt with a nut on the end securing the trans to the bellhousing.

86supraproject
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Just noticed this post and im going thru the same process, Same rig, how do you get the transmission mounts loose without taking them loose from the stringers. Just dont want to mess around with any wood. It looks like there has to be a way to do it also without having to realign. Can anyone help?

Grandorleans
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I recently lifted the tranny to replace the front seal with a similar process as Knoble. Its a pain to get the bolts out of mounts but persistence pays. I think I used a 1/4 ratchet with a short extension to reach in and get the bolts out. Good luck

86supraproject
05-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Which bolts did you remove and did you have to realign? I was trying to remove the 2 bolts on the mounts that go into the side of the transmision. Havent had any luck yet though.

Grandorleans
05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
what supra do you have?

86supraproject
05-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Its an 87 sunsport skier, the guy that I purchased it from told me it was a 86 but its actually an 87 after looking at the title.I have been thru alot with it. When I 1st got it the engine was blown, It had a late model 350 truck engne in it,which I had never seen before. It originally came with a 454 chevy that I also got with it that the block was cracked and was imposible to find parts for. Well I ended up building a new 350 for it but ended up using the 454 flywheel and just figured out the the 454 was externally balanced and was causing a vibration. Thats the reason that Im pulling the transmision out. I have done quite a buit of work to it so far, new engine and wireing, wet sand,buff,and wax, and an ariel airborne tower. Looks like I will be doing some floor and stringer work to it next winter if all goes well this summer with the economy how it is.

csuggs
05-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Its an 87 sunsport skier, the guy that I purchased it from told me it was a 86 but its actually an 87 after looking at the title.I have been thru alot with it. When I 1st got it the engine was blown, It had a late model 350 truck engne in it,which I had never seen before. It originally came with a 454 chevy that I also got with it that the block was cracked and was imposible to find parts for. Well I ended up building a new 350 for it but ended up using the 454 flywheel and just figured out the the 454 was externally balanced and was causing a vibration. Thats the reason that Im pulling the transmision out. I have done quite a buit of work to it so far, new engine and wireing, wet sand,buff,and wax, and an ariel airborne tower. Looks like I will be doing some floor and stringer work to it next winter if all goes well this summer with the economy how it is.

Nice Boat! I like the color. I don't want to hijack this thread, but how about starting a thread and posting some pics? We wanna hear more!

86supraproject
05-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Sorry about that kinda got carried away when I seen someone going thru the same thing.

csuggs
05-04-2009, 08:50 AM
86supraproject: I wasn't suggesting that you were hijacking the thread. I want to find out more about yourboat and so Ididn't want to be hijacking the thread! Sorry about the confusion. :grin:

86supraproject
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Thats ok bro, I think I did HJ it anyway.

87 Supra Comp TS6m
05-09-2009, 07:34 PM
You can also remove the transmission without taking the bell housing off. There should be 4 or 6 bolts and 1 nut behind each transmission mount. remove the bolts first, then loosen the nuts with a 11/16 wrench. These nuts are on the ends of long studs that go into the bell housing. You may not be able to get the nut all the way off because it will hit the trans. mount, just slide it (the trans.) back until you can remove the nuts. Keep the mounts on, this will make it much easier to handle and move the tranny. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond
So I now have the bolts & nuts btw. tran & bell housing (except for two which hit the mounts). How do I disconnect the tran from the drive shaft so that the tran can move back? I believe I have a leaky gasket btw. tran & bell housing, so am hoping I can leave the tran mounts alone and just move the tran back an inch for gasket replacement.

knoble
05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I removed the trans with the bell housing and mount intact. That way i did no have to mess with realigning it! It is a pain to put back in but with some perseverance and muscle it will go back in to place and aligned correctly! I have put 3" threaded rod on the back of the block to help guide it into place and makes it a little easier. I then double nut the rod to extract them! :D

86supraproject
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Just got mine back togeter 10 minutes ago, I had to take the 4 flange bolts out and that the rubber boot loose under the removable piece of wood behind the motor cover. There is also a coupling that you need to loosen up the set screws in and then you just pull back on the prop and it will give you plenty of room. Just got to add fluid to mine and im ready for the lake again. Anyone know what kind of fluid goes in these. Im thinking mercon dextron 3.

87 Supra Comp TS6m
05-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Got it all done. It went just like Brian Raymond wrote, thanks a ton Brian. Had a soft rebuild done by Boeser transmission in Burnsville, MN. $425 and it seems good as new. Put the tranny back on yesterday and ran the boat just fine today. No leaks thus far!