PDA

View Full Version : Can turn in one direction in reverse

duckseatfree
04-11-2011, 09:47 AM
So last september my friend ran my boat onto shore (ankel deep water - I'll post pictures of that later!) $800 later we got back into deep water and suprisingly enough everything ran great just one problem that I just noticed...when I go in reverse, I can only go in one direction.

I took the boat out a few days ago and noticed that the rudder turns correctly when I turn it to the right, but when I turn it to the left it only turns to about 45 degrees.

Its weird because when I am going forward you can't tell the difference...it still takes very sharp turns in both directions.

Any ideas?

Also, the blower isn't turning on. I unhooked it and tested it and it works fine and seems to be getting power to it....might it be the blower switch?

sybrmike
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Inboards don't turn in reverse very well in either direction, but one side is usually worse than the other (something to do with prop rotation, offset shaft, etc.). However if your rudder isn't turning an equal amount in both directions, sounds like the steering tube may have shifted in the clamp block when it ran aground.

Loosen the clamp block from the steering tube, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock & find the center of travel, hold the steering wheel fixed in the center position while you align the rudder straight, then tighten the clamp block on the steering tube.

iwakeboard
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Depending on the rotation of your prop, they only back in one direction. Most inboards back to the right, I think Nautique's back to the left. When I come into the dock I come in at a 45 degree angle with my starboard side towards the dock and put reverse on and it'll back right up against the dock.

The reason it's different from inboard/outboards or outboards is because the propeller, in reverse, doesn't push through a rudder like when it's in forward gear.

Jetlink
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
You also have what is commonly referred to as "P-Factor" in the airplane world in regards to aerodynamics. An airplane propeller in just like a boat propeller. P-factor basically says that any applied force to the propeller will result in a reaction force 90 degrees in the direction of rotation. So when a prop that spins in a clockwise rotation when viewed from behind the boat in reverse, the reaction force will be applied basically at the "9 o'clock" position pushing the stern to starboard. Clear as mud or did I go way over everyone's head with that?

Salty87
04-11-2011, 07:46 PM
can you check it on the trailer? should turn the same to each side. reverse in the water is something of an art or at least a learned science.

duckseatfree
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately I can't get to my boat until Friday night...out of town until then.

Salty - I checked it both in the water and on the trailer and there is a noticable difference when I turn it to the right and to the left.

Jet - I actually had to go over that twice to understand it, lol

iwakeboard - that's probably why I didn't notice it until I had to put it in reverse

sybr - thanks for the advice, i'll have to do that once I get access to the boat. This might be a n00b question, but where is the clamp block and steering tube? Is that right above the rudder? and how do I go about loosening it?

beast 496
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Inboards don't turn in reverse very well in either direction, but one side is usually worse than the other (something to do with prop rotation, offset shaft, etc.). However if your rudder isn't turning an equal amount in both directions, sounds like the steering tube may have shifted in the clamp block when it ran aground.

Loosen the clamp block from the steering tube, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock & find the center of travel, hold the steering wheel fixed in the center position while you align the rudder straight, then tighten the clamp block on the steering tube.

This is correct in every aspect

Jetlink
04-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Jet - I actually had to go over that twice to understand it, lol

There are a few other things going on under that explain the issue of the boat always swinging the stern to one side when in reverse, but that can get really confusing.

Good luck with your rudder problem. I know my steering wheel doesn't truly center up in the column when the rudder is straight but I get the same deflection full port to full starboard.

sybrmike
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Due to all of the above reasons, it'll never reverse well or equally in both directions. But if the rudder's not turning equal amounts in both directions, the clamp block is located just forward of the rudder (either bolted to a side stringer or the strut backing plate).

It's a two piece ball & socket that clamps to the steering tube at the rudder end of the steering cable and fixes that end while the cable push/pulls. I think it's 4 bolts that clamp the block around the steering tube. Once you have access under the rear center floor panel, it'll be obvious. Good luck.

duckseatfree
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
This was a fun day! My girlfriend's dad really helped me out a lot this day.

I was really suprised that there really wasn't any damage

cadunkle
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Not to rub salt in the wounds, but how the heck did that happen?

As for the rudder, the cable probably just slipped in the block when the rudder hit the sand and was forced into whatever position. Adjust the cable/block as others have mentioned and you should be fine. Make sure it's all tight, nothing is slipping and the cable is moving through the full range of turning the wheel.

duckseatfree
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
This was a combination of letting my friend drive back right at dawn at full speed and having the lake levels at 18ft below normal. A ton of underwater islands were popping up that would normally not even be an issue. Luckily, he managed to cut the boat off before we hit which is why I think nothing too serious happened. The propeller had stopped moving and didn't mess up the tranny.

duckseatfree
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. I was able to get the rudder turning the same amount in both directions now.

Now for my next problem...
I finally put the boat in the water and took it out for a test spin and noticed a little bit of vibration (I didn't notice this before I put it up).

It's not too bad, but you can feel the vibration through the floor. Would this be caused by a misalignment of the engine or a bent prop shaft? (or both?) And how would I be able to tell if it is a misalignment?

Since my boat was ran aground last year, I think it has to be one of these two?

Okie Boarder
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't think you would feel vibration from misalignment, it would just wear things wrong. I'd lean more towards a bent shaft.

duckseatfree
04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I thought so. I guess I'll have to get that straightened out.

Just curious...if I drive with the bent shaft what would be the damage?

Also...any suggestion of what kinds of places would be able to straighten it out?

Okie Boarder
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
It would be hard on the transmission and possibly the strut.

smoothfootn
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I would start by taking the prop off and taking it to a prop shop. The place we use will straighten and balance (and polish) for less than $100. Being that the prop is most likely what hit the ground it is most likelly to bend. (Brass will bend before the hardened steel shaft) We have had 2 occasions where logs were hit and the prop was bent. Immedietly there is vibration throughout the whole boat. Both instances were fixed w/ the balance. Good luck!

duckseatfree
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks smoothfootn...that's better news than it possibly being the shaft! I'll take it off and take it somewhere around here.

Okie Boarder
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I definitely agree on having the prop checked first. For some reason I was thinking you already did that.

duckseatfree
04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to find a place that would be able to do that around here

Salty87
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
shops around here won't charge anything if the part checks out ok. i'd take it all in...shaft, prop, coupler...eyeball the strut as best as possible but they should be able to fix it too if necessary.

docdrs
04-19-2011, 07:04 PM
check the alignment at the coupler, will tell you if the shaft is bent.

duckseatfree
04-19-2011, 11:46 PM
check the alignment at the coupler, will tell you if the shaft is bent.

Thanks docdrs. I'm still a newbie at this....how do I go about checking the alignment at the coupler? (not really sure what the coupler is)