PDA

View Full Version : how do i repair this (keel damage)

supracalifragilistic
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
just bought the boat and want to get it out on the water but i was wondering if this has to be repaired before we take it out for a test drive, what would be the best way to fix this.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb325/amontaelaney/

beast 496
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, this needs repaired. The damage seen appears to have been repaired prior improperly. It is hard to tell how far the prior repair was in the photo, but for underwater fiberglass repair. Use, Vinylester material, filler and resin. Al

jsandy
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
first are you in any way capable of doing professional grade fiberglass work or bodywork? if not dont even atempt fixing it take it to a professional and get it done right and once. be cheaper in the long run

supracalifragilistic
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
this might sound completely ridiculous but when i purchased the boat i didnt think it would be that big of an issue and looked to be a fairly easy diy project. some of the close up pictures make it appear a lot bigger then it truly is. I have never worked with fiberglass and wanted to get some input on how hard it would be to tackle myself?

beast 496
04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
It is hard to tell from the photos. THe real truth lies under the old repair. If the damage is solely to the gell and not to the glass mat. Easy repair in my opionion. Simply grind off all damaged area to glass mat, clean effected area, contour with glass reinforeced vinylester filler. We use 3M product. Sand and prep for gel coat. Spray color matched gel, sand and buff. This could be a 3 hr project could be a 7 hr project. just depend how bad repair actually is. Good luck Al

Salty87
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
it does look like someone tried to cover it with marine tex. as mentioned, hard to say from pics but it looks too deep/wide for that.

almost looks like separation between the laminates in this shot (the dark spot to the left is all the way through?). are there loose fibers exposed?
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb325/amontaelaney/P1010268.jpg

given the location of the damage and the fact that you're probably not looking for showroom perfection, this isn't a terribly hard repair. fiberglassing takes some practice though. i suggest learning first on a smaller project if you want to tackle this. you need to get the hang of cure times.

sybrmike
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, won't know how big a repair you're facing until you uncover what's behind the previous attempted patch job - then it's too late to turn back. Looks like it's located in an area that can't be inspected from the interior (under the floor where foam was poured around the fresh air vents). If water penetrated the hull, you can be assured that the foam is saturated which further complicates things.

Glass work is messy, but isn't hard - just takes some practice to get a good feel for the techniques. Matching gelcoat is the hardest part for me and tedious too (spray, sand, spray, sand, ...). You could run it by a few shops for estimates and professional opinions but be prepared for some sticker shock - shops are filling up this time of year, cost of materials are increasing, etc.

A "good enough" repair should be doable by a competent DIYer & definitely better than what's there now.

supracalifragilistic
04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
sorry about the pictures i understand its hard to tell whats really going on. I am a complete noob but was doing some research and thought maybe if i fill it in sand it down and put a keel sheild over it it would get me through a couple seasons. Im not worried about how it looks beacuse of its position on the boat. I will try to get some better pictures of it

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb325/amontaelaney/

Salty87
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
you want to be extra careful below the waterline. browse a rebuild thread...it should motivate you to do everything in your power to keep your foam dry.

keel shield isn't a bad idea but it needs more than to be filled in and sanded down. you can see all of the fractured fiberglass...you don't want a weak keel. do it right and be done with it.