PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge stuck at 50%

CarZin
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Both the analog and digital fuel gauge on my 09 21V wont move past 50%. The gauge doesnt seem to change in the positive or negative regardless of the fuel situation.

Do we likely have a stuck floater?

Does anyone have some step by step procedures to check this? I know the fuel tank is below the center panel. I dont know what I'm looking for once I remove the panel. Does the tank need to be slightly emptied before I check this?

if someone happens to have their tank exposed and can upload a pic, that can enlighten me? Many thanks!

Fman
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Both the analog and digital fuel gauge on my 09 21V wont move past 50%. The gauge doesnt seem to change in the positive or negative regardless of the fuel situation.

Do we likely have a stuck floater?

Does anyone have some step by step procedures to check this? I know the fuel tank is below the center panel. I dont know what I'm looking for once I remove the panel. Does the tank need to be slightly emptied before I check this?

if someone happens to have their tank exposed and can upload a pic, that can enlighten me? Many thanks!

Supra did this because of the high gas prices, takes the pain out of filling up. You never burn more than 1/2 tank all day! :rolleyes: best fuel consumption of any wakeboard boat!

Sorry, buddy, cant help you out... I am sure someone will chime in.

devovino
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Its a 09? SOunds like a warranty issue to me.

CarZin
04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately not. One of the reasons I got the boat 12k less than MSRP was that it was an R&D boat sold to a pro rider. While the engine warranty is in tact, and I have 'some' of the hull warranty remaining, it doesnt cover any components.

I would assume the fuel sender would be a component issue, and not be covered by the engine warranty.

CarZin
04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Waiting to hear back from Skiers Choice customer service on this issue. I have to tell you, they have been excellent every time I have called them.

After researching the problem, I need to disconnect the wires from the fuel sender, and check the resistance. I am waiting to hear back from the guy at supra so I can find out what OHMs I should be getting at different levels. I also dont know if they use a float or a probe.

I assume I cant take the sender out of the tank when the tank is full, so I may have to burn some more gas and run some checks before I know for sure.

dshaff24
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't know what the 09 looks like.. but mine did this and I pulled the sender and cleaned the contacts.. Put a ohm meter on it and measured it and it worked properly so I installed it and it worked

CarZin
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately it looks like it may be an issue with the ECU... We pulled the floor panels, disconnected the fuel sender altogether, and the guage showed 50%.

At this point, we are going to have to take it to a dealer, but the problem really isnt important to us. We fill it every day, and you have to be doing some serious crap to be empty.

buddyhaws
04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
"I don't know what the 09 looks like.. but mine did this and I pulled the sender and cleaned the contacts.. Put a ohm meter on it and measured it and it worked properly so I installed it and it worked"

I have this same problem. Mine doesnt pass 85%. How hard is it to clean the sender contacts? Where are those? I'm not much of a mechanic but dont mind working through something.