PDA

View Full Version : Dirty port (left) wave

CarZin
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I just got an 09 Supra 21v. This is my first wakeboarding boat. When out today, the port wave was not very clean (not a nice lip, way too much whitecapping). It looked like crap compared to what I have seen behind some other wakeboarding boats. The starboard wake was near perfect.

We only had 3 people on the boat. I was pulling a rider at 21 MPH. Is this normal going at this speed, or am I going to have to increase the speed. It looked like it only got to a good state around 30, which is way too fast.

I dont really know how to properly adjust the ballasts yet, as this was my first time out. What am I doing wrong?

Topgun
04-12-2011, 12:10 AM
CarZin,

I have the same model. Your going to love it once you get comfortable with it. Port side is going to be the hardest to clean up due to prop rotation, but you will get there. I prefer 25mph, but that may take you a little time to get used to the speed. I recommend filling the rear ballast bags completely. You can work up to the center bag, but you will get the best shape when you fill them all. Wakeplate down all the way. Move your passengers around and you will notice big difference in the curl. Then start playing with the plate slowly until you get what you want. Once you get it where you want it, you can save it in Perfect pass. I typically end up with about 30% to 40% on the plate. As passengers move around for a better view, it will change unfortunately, but you will get used to managing the plate from your mirror if you need to. That hull likes weight. If you have plenty of passengers, you don't have to use the bags as much until you want big water, but where they sit make a big difference.

Steve O

I just got an 09 Supra 21v. This is my first wakeboarding boat. When out today, the port wave was not very clean (not a nice lip, way too much whitecapping). It looked like crap compared to what I have seen behind some other wakeboarding boats. The starboard wake was near perfect.

We only had 3 people on the boat. I was pulling a rider at 21 MPH. Is this normal going at this speed, or am I going to have to increase the speed. It looked like it only got to a good state around 30, which is way too fast.

I dont really know how to properly adjust the ballasts yet, as this was my first time out. What am I doing wrong?

Fman
04-12-2011, 12:27 AM

I struggled for two years to get a clean wake on port side of my 22SSV, unless I was pulling someone at 24+ MPH. What did help was to fill the port side with a little more weight. You can also move people around, usually more weight on the side that is washing out will help you clean it up. Its a little tough on the 09's because they dont have gauges on the bags, but you can just visually look at the bags and shut off the drivers side while continuing to fill the passenger side.

For some reason my 22 was really weight sensitive to displacement of passengers, especially was a problem between 16-22 mph. Maybe the 21 does not have this issue, I hear the wake on the 21 is a really, really nice....

Congratulations on your new boat! :D any pictures?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Get some smaller, easily movable (and stash-able) weights, like 50-75lbs. 2-3 of these will balance anything. In my older boat I use flat dumb-bell weights. Or whatever you call them. :p You just need to fine tune the weight from side to side. Every time out with a different crew the wake needs a little balancing.

Lets see the boat!

CarZin
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks, guys! So there is hope, apparently to cleaning up that wake. This is a picture of the boat when I was test driving it at the dealer (they arent on a very clean lake). This was Austin Hair's boat. I love the paint, because the boat has clean lines.

http://thewolfweb.com/photos/00520174.jpg

Fman
04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Great looking 21V! I really like the white/blue combo with the grey interior. Have a great season with her....

Diggs
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah the 21V is easy to clean up that side. The 22 is definitely more sensitive than the 21, but as long as you take the time to dial it in on either boat you are good.
Here are the suggestions I would look at and others have mentioned a few of them already:
-Make sure your speed that your going is accurate. Get a GPS and run it against your speedo and make sure it is calibrated. You might be going slower than you think.
-You need more weight on your port side. Depending on how many batteries and how big your driver is and if you have a sub, etc you could be sitting heavy on your starboard side.
-Did you burp your bags. You might have some air in your ballast on the port side. Both bags will look and act full, but you might have a ton of air in your port side. Very easy to burp and you should do regularly.
-Move a bit more weight forward and make sure your front bag is burped. Riding heavy in the back will make your wake steeper and hence more sensitive.

Summary..... Bottom line is with a combination of speed and weight distribution you should be able to clean it up. You will always have a touch more lip over there as discussed, but 21V is not nearly as sensitive as other boats, but you should know the keys and rest easy as it will clear up.

How much weight are you running in ballast and where?

Diggs
04-12-2011, 11:51 PM
PS.... Sweet looking boat!

CarZin
04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

To answer the above...

I am running 650 in each rear locker, and the stock 650 in the center.

I have NO clue how to properly burp a bag. I am positive there is some air in there, but dont know the best way to clear that. Whats the best procedure?

We havent calibrated the speedometer. Definitely need to check that, but I dont think we are off too much.

I didnt really do the right things to try to clean up the wake. When I first took it out, I just filled up all the bags and ran the boat to see the wake. Wake was still nasty. In retrospect, its probably because the starboard needed very little weight, and I needed to concentrate on tilting the boat to the port, not just sinking it in deeper.

We never had more than one girl in the front, so I didnt get the play pen loaded.

Diggs
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Ok... this seems pretty simple to me.
-I would definitely still calibrate your speedo to make sure you are right on. Just bring a little hand held gps or download an ap on you smart phone. Very easy.
-You are fine to run those 650's in the back, but if you do, you really need to put more weight up front. With the new hull in 09 it is hard to fit a 1100 bag up front, so I just just lead and distribute it around the front to get more weight up front. You are running too much weight in the back and not enough up front the way you are sitting. This will cause the wake to be much steeper and the steeper the wake the more it will crumble.
-Make sure your people are distributed evenly
-Burp the bags - As you are filling the bags (Maybe half way full) open the cap at the opposite end of the bag from the fill lines and just run your hand down the bag to get any excess air out. Just like putting food in a zip lock bag, you try and get all the air out. This will make more room for water and then you know both bags are actually full instead of maybe one is fuller than the other.

If you want to experiment with my theory, start by just filling your front bag and don't fill the rears and see how it looks. I bet if you have the weight distributed well in the boat you will be good. Then start adding weight to the back, but add more to the front too. That boat is already ass heavy and in my opinion you want more weight up front. You will love this wake when you get it dialed. You will also love having those 650's in the rear when you want to surf, but just get more weight up front and distribute weight and bodies evenly.

Fman
04-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

To answer the above...

I am running 650 in each rear locker, and the stock 650 in the center.

I have NO clue how to properly burp a bag. I am positive there is some air in there, but dont know the best way to clear that. Whats the best procedure?

We havent calibrated the speedometer. Definitely need to check that, but I dont think we are off too much.

I didnt really do the right things to try to clean up the wake. When I first took it out, I just filled up all the bags and ran the boat to see the wake. Wake was still nasty. In retrospect, its probably because the starboard needed very little weight, and I needed to concentrate on tilting the boat to the port, not just sinking it in deeper.

We never had more than one girl in the front, so I didnt get the play pen loaded.

Another option is vent your rear bags, its very easy. All you need is to run a quick disconnect off the front bag vent with 3/4" line, and "Y" into the drain thru-hull on the side of the boat. Its also a good idea to put a "one way" check valve in the line to avoid water from draining back into the bag when emptying.

This will allow the air to escape out of the bags when filling, and you wont have any air pockets in the bags. The one way check valve will also help when you drain the bag and not allow air to come back into the bag when emptying out.

Quick Disconnect --> 3/4" line --> One way check valve --> "Y" into thru-hull drain.

Wakemakers.com is a great resource to order parts and do this, should not be too expensive. Ask for Jason or Spencer.

CarZin
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Awesome. You guys are great! Looking forward to Saturday!

Bumpass1
04-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I think I looked at that boat late last year before I was ready to pull the trigger. Did it come out of Orlando?

CarZin
04-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Yup! When I bought the boat, it was being brokered by the pro rider's buddy at a dealership in Charlotte. He had it sent it to get new upholstery (apparently a perk for a supra sponsered rider). He probably had it for sale in Orlando for a month or so.

Got it for 38k with only 93 hours =)

The price was unreal, but it was a hassle getting some things sorted out with the boat. There were some quirks with it being a Research and Development boat that needed working out. The only difference now with the boat is that perfect pass is NOT slaved to the wake plate. I didnt really care. It takes all of 2 seconds to get it from full up to full down.

Bumpass1
04-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I was on vacation in Oct. when I looked at it. They had only had it for about a week. It was not even advertised it yet. I saw a few things that made me shy away from it. I'm glad that Supra stepped up to fix the quirks that were in it. The dealer wanted 43000 for it at the time. Glad you got a few G's off. The color scheme is better in person. I ended up with an '07 21V with 80 hours for 35k

CarZin
04-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm curious the quirks you saw. We had them put in an entirely new dash (previous dash had holes where they ran some lines through for a computer analyzer). The wake plate was non functional, and had to get that repaired (none of this on our dime).

The only thing left to do is confirm we have a bad fuel sender.

Bumpass1
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Just the dash and the spider cracks at the base of the tower. At the time I did not know that it was just gelcoat cracks and that it was common at the base of the tower. I did a lot of research after I saw that. Ended up calling Skiers Choice to ask them about the spider cracking on the the boat the I ended up buying.

Bumpass1
04-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I wasn't real keen on the dealer either. He didn't give any warm fuzzy feelings.

CarZin
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear you didnt see stuff I didnt see :)

Yeah, the spider cracks around the tower are normal, and I'm not sure I've seen a used boat without them. Those things flex quite a bit!

The dashboard cost over $2000 to replace. I got that worked in when the wakeplate situation wasnt disclosed.