PDA

View Full Version : Purchase decision: 21V, 22SSV or Moomba XLV

WillSurf
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I am looking a 7 or 8 year multipurpose boat for my family so I am looking for a boat to grow into for watersports fun. I live by the Ocean, will run a lot in the bay (so the boat needs to deal well will large wakes and low 3-4ft swells and also will run on the colorado river and all the big western lakes. My kids and near by cousins range from 7 to 13 years old. I will normally run either 4 or 8-10 people on the boat. There is often no place to set up a base camp so the whole crowd will be on the boat the whole trip.

I am looking at the following three boats. I really am new to these boats so please clue me in.

- If flushed and washed after every use do these boats hold up paticularly well in regular salt water use?

- How well does the hull design on each model handle the large lake chop.

- Please help me choose a model.

21V
Pros: Higher freeboard than , cap rated to 13,
stadium seating is much nicer than XLV
Less expensive than the 22 SSV
Cons: I heard the ride on the 21V is not nearly as good as the 22SSV or the XLV,
The 22SSV will have better resale value,
The full design of the XLV looks like it will handle the big water better

22SSV
Pros: Better driving performance, better 'cool' factor, the dealers's favirote
Cons: Looks like the lowest freeboard and least likely to handle the big chop well,
Capacity rated only to 10, does it have more passenger room than the 21V?

23 XLV
Pros: BIG.
- Most freeboard and hull so looks like it will handle the bigest chop
- Looks like the most interior room, 10 people on a boat all day need space.
- Cost $2-3k less
Cons:
- Harder to resell, not as nice inside, less cool factor, a bigger tow

Please clue me in.

Thanks,
James

silvtongdvl
01-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I think the two most important factors in your case are the ocean and the 8 to 10 people aboard. These facts rule out the 22 ssv. I would go with Moomba. You need the size in both cases. As for the salt water - get a galvanized trailer, flush and wash like you said using a "salt-away" product. You should be good.

The Moomba may not hold its value as well in fresh water conditions, but will be = in salt water ones. Besides you will pay less to start with.
~S~

WillSurf
01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the comments Silver Tounged Devil.. As you said I am leaning toward the XLV. The 21V has nice high freeboard but seems too small for the crowd.

WillSurf4food

kcsideways
01-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Check out the new kid on the block for '05 from Supra...The 24SSV. May not be in your budget range but worth taking a look at anyway for comparison purposes. Rides and drives awesome!

jflock2
01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Saw the 24 at the Atlanta Boat Show - interesting! Wonder what the wake is like? If anyone has intel, please share here...

Schmo
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
jflock,

Going out on a test drive this Saturday at Atlanta Marine. You are more than welcome to come along. Sent you a PM on WBA.

01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Here is the info on the 24SSV Wake that I have accumulated so far without actually seeing:

Waterski magazine 2005 boat review:
This is by far Supra's biggest and best-shaped wake. The Supra Ride System (SRS) makes it possible with a winning wake-inducing combination: A triple-step hull design, hydraulic wake plate, and 2,000 pounds of factory ballast capacity work seamlessly to create mammoth wakes that all wakeboarders will envy. Its performance isn't all about sheer size either. The wake is extremely smooth and rampy — and its transition is right on the money. With its deep-V keel, the 24 SSV takes on rough conditions and double-ups with authority, plus its tracking and overall handling with its mega-ballast capacity are respectable for its size class.

Unnamed dealer that has ridden it:
The 24SSV has a HUGE transition on its wake. From the boat it looks very rampy but as you approach the top of the wake, it suddenly gets vert and provides a pop that will send you vertical.
When I drove the 24SSV at the dealers Meeting. We had the stock 1800 lbs full. The wake was INSANE.

Another unnamed dealer:
The boats wake is designed for riders that want to ride longer lines, pretty much 70 feet and back. The wakes are incredible back there. Somone that rides a shorter line will find the wake different, but should still like it. However, around 75 to 80 feet, the wake is great!

Biggest concern is weather it has the power to handle the weight (stock ballast is 1800lbs) and whether it can handle more weight (powerwise and wake cleanliness-wise).

Schmo
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Here is the info on the 24SSV Wake that I have accumulated so far without actually seeing:

Waterski magazine 2005 boat review:
This is by far Supra's biggest and best-shaped wake. The Supra Ride System (SRS) makes it possible with a winning wake-inducing combination: A triple-step hull design, hydraulic wake plate, and 2,000 pounds of factory ballast capacity work seamlessly to create mammoth wakes that all wakeboarders will envy. Its performance isn't all about sheer size either. The wake is extremely smooth and rampy — and its transition is right on the money. With its deep-V keel, the 24 SSV takes on rough conditions and double-ups with authority, plus its tracking and overall handling with its mega-ballast capacity are respectable for its size class.

Unnamed dealer that has ridden it:
The 24SSV has a HUGE transition on its wake. From the boat it looks very rampy but as you approach the top of the wake, it suddenly gets vert and provides a pop that will send you vertical.
When I drove the 24SSV at the dealers Meeting. We had the stock 1800 lbs full. The wake was INSANE.

Another unnamed dealer:
The boats wake is designed for riders that want to ride longer lines, pretty much 70 feet and back. The wakes are incredible back there. Somone that rides a shorter line will find the wake different, but should still like it. However, around 75 to 80 feet, the wake is great!

Biggest concern is weather it has the power to handle the weight (stock ballast is 1800lbs) and whether it can handle more weight (powerwise and wake cleanliness-wise).

silvtongdvl
01-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I haven't had enough time on one to know for certain, but the boat does have lots of power with the 340hp version - just to let you know - a 8.1 is now avaible for this boat. The 8.1 is suppose to be for elavation purposes but it will have more torq. which might equate to wakeboarders - carry more ballast & still hold speed.
I can tell you for sure that we had 8 men onboard and nobody was crowded - lots of room. Felt like 5 people on my 22SSV.
It handles like the big boat it is around the dock - but not bad - more truth to that is that I am not used to that size boat. Out on the open water with full ballast, she handles like most weighted wakeboard boats.
The wake was large, with large transitions and a small vert at the top. Solid and is very ridable - had people asking about how good the ski wake would be at the show. Didn't notice. For a few thousand more than the Moomba XLV , its larger, has more storage the new board racks, and lots of bling. Make sure you have a beast of a tow vehicle - she is 4000lbs empty.
~S~

Schmo
01-19-2005, 09:07 PM
We currently have a Moomba XLV. We are used to a large towing weight (24SSV is only a few hundred pounds more). We have our boat on a dock most of the time so the towing is minimal and our Expedition handles it fine (wouldn't want to go cross country).

You said the wake is very ridable. That doesn't sound like a great endorsement. How does it compare to an XLV or 22SSV wake?

silvtongdvl
01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Its funny - I have two friends with XLV's but never got to ride behind them because we bought a new SSV. From them talking - my SSV wake is simular to the one XLV that has the GG bags in it. The other has the GG bags plus another 600 lbs of lead. That wake is huge. My son has ridden all the boats including the 24v. I don't really think there is much difference between the 24v wake and yours. That being said - the wake is close to the same as the XLV w/gg bags. Longer transitions he said - its been awhile. I drove for him and it looked nice in the mirror - I know thats not much to go on - I wish we had more time on the boat - I do know personally it has a great surf wake !!!
I know this doesn't help much - you should really test drive the boat - ride if you can.
~S~

Schmo
01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
We are test driving it this weekend however riding it will be iffy since it is cold. I got a lot of input from the guys at dallaswakeboarding and everyone of them liked it better than the XLV. Longer transition, a little more vert of a lip and the ability to ride farther out was the general consensus. One guy stated it was the best big boat wake he rode which included better than the XLV, Wakesetter 23LSV and the new X-Star.

silvtongdvl
01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
McFly should take good care of you - We really like the boat, just havn't had enough time on her yet. If you get a chance, I am with GCWA - Houstons wakeboard club
www.gcwa.com
If you buy one - post your thoughts on our website too !!! Maybe we could hook up at one of the many events thrown this summer by both clubs.
~S~

Schmo
01-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Won't be dealing with McFly although he has been very helpful. I am in Atlanta but the dallas people have been really helpful in providing information. If you are ever in Atlanta, let me know.

silvtongdvl
01-21-2005, 01:35 PM
We have a place in Blairsville, Ga that we go to every year for week or two around the 4th of July. Keep in touch - maybe we could hook up then.
Scott