PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

sidetracked3
04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a 2008 Sunsport 22v and was debating on changing the prop. What are the advantages to this. I would like to have a better surf wake. Will this help? And which prop do I choose?

docdrs
04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Would help to know what prop size and make you have now?

sidetracked3
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Well not really sure. It says X 14 VC o.j 14.24 on the prop.

docdrs
04-14-2011, 11:22 PM
maybe 14.25 X 14 LC oj wakeboard prop. are you ok with your hole shot , how much ballast do you have? do you cruise much . what change in your surf wave are you looking for? you may want to call acme or oj as they are the 2 prop mani's that you will prb consider. Or is it your ballast that you need to adjust for your wave or modify your platform trailing edge to smooth out your wave?

foxer720
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
I have the same boat, but a 2007 (same hull). I changed to an ACME 1235 last year, and it rocks! I lost some top end, but I don't need to go over 40mph. Hole shot is amazing. If you're looking for a better surf wake, I didn't notice much difference in the shape/height of the wave. But I run over 3000lbs ballast, and I did notice that I maintain speed much better with the 1235 (I don't use perfectpass for surfing, prefer to just watch RPM's). Check out the moomba forums, there's a huge thread about prop testing from last year. I bought mine from Nettle props. Give them a call, the owner (can't remember his name) is very helpful/knowledgeable.
One thing to note with the ACME 1235, I had to shim the bunks on my trailer to get more clearance for the prop. You may not have to do this, but if so call Boatmate. They have a kit and it's extremely easy to do.

sidetracked3
04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Well I would like a bigger surf wake. I just upgraded from factory 400lbs to the 750's but have not had the boat in the water yet to test. We do cruise around but I really do not need top end. We just like to cruise. And sorry I am new to all the terms but not sure what a hole shot is either. I have not been wakeboarding long and just started wakesurfing last year. I was having problems surfing without a rope. I also just bought a Inland Blue that I am hoping will help too.

jsandy
04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
speaking from expericance. and the fact i literally just put a 14x14 acme prop on a brand new 22 sunsport is that an ACME makes a world of difference over the OJ. i did'nt believe my service guy that swears OJs are junk and that the ACME made such a difference. but last week we hade identical 22Vs boats side by side one with the OJ and one with ACME and wow what a difference in performance. Better launch out of the hole no skipping through turns, realy worth it. Altho the prop will have no affect on your surf wake.