PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this engine?

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
This is a '94, but it looks terrible. Do you think this is normal for a 17 year old boat that was just not loved, or do you think something more happened?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_QZaj8AJZDTk/TaZNpmeQFaI/AAAAAAAAARM/pY1fOeOjAMo/IMG_20110322_183049-1.jpg

duckseatfree
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Is there anything mechanically wrong with it? If it's just dirty then its nothing new hoses/wires, sand paper and a few cans of spray paint can't fix.

I have the tendency of wiping down my engine before and after I take it for a spin just so I can try to keep it nice and shiny but everyone thinks I'm weird for doing that...I think its pretty normal for an engine to show signs of age if nothing is changed out or if its ever wiped down.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Is there anything mechanically wrong with it? If it's just dirty then its nothing new hoses/wires, sand paper and a few cans of spray paint can't fix.

I have the tendency of wiping down my engine before and after I take it for a spin just so I can try to keep it nice and shiny but everyone thinks I'm weird for doing that...I think its pretty normal for an engine to show signs of age if nothing is changed out or if its ever wiped down.

It's too far away to for me to see, so I'm trying to assess via photos. Owner claims they service it and run it every year. I can understand the upholstery getting sun faded, cracked etc., but usually the motor doesn't look as weathered as the outside. They certainly get worn, but it looks like a lot of dirt and gunk is everywhere, not just at points that could get a bit of oil spilled, heat changes etc. One person thinks maybe it was submerged, but I think that is probably too extreme.

michael hunter
04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I think it has more to do with how and where you store it. Mine has only been touched up once about 6 years ago when I rebuilt the carb. The intake was repainted in the center where the exhaust port runs through it and I touched up the valve cover lettering.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supracarb010.jpg

duckseatfree
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Personally, I don't think it looks too bad...I've seen some that look worse and still work very well. The engine is something you CAN NOT just judge by a picture, there are sooooo many components that make it work effectively and so many things to look for. I could show you a picture of a brand new engine but at the same time has water in the oil....Not good. Its also something you can't just take someone's word for.

Are you looking at this because your thinking of buying?

jsandy
04-15-2011, 10:58 AM
judging by the amount of water that is in the boat and how dirty that motor is i would'nt touch it. boats has obviously not been taken care of and abused

duckseatfree
04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
judging by the amount of water that is in the boat and how dirty that motor is i would'nt touch it. boats has obviously not been taken care of and abused

Unless you want a project boat, lol. My opinion is, if the engine is in good condition and there aren't any major issues and the price is right...why not. I think being able to add your own personal touch to your boat gives it something extra.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm thinking of buying, but it's unfortunately to far away to see easily, but close enough to consider. I like the idea of composite stringers, my worst fear of buying a boat in the 7k range is to end up with rot.:(

duckseatfree
04-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Yea, composite stringers are nice. My thought...if the engine runs well with no problems and no damage to the hull...7k is a good price.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
A shot of the interior. I'm sorry, but if someone can't even clean up the boat a little bit before taking pics when putting it up for sale... :confused:

I think I'm going to pass.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_QZaj8AJZDTk/TahnVqVc6ZI/AAAAAAAAAR0/e-X8U-IOmrY/s1024/IMG_20101104_172257.jpg

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Yea, composite stringers are nice. My thought...if the engine runs well with no problems and no damage to the hull...7k is a good price.

I was thinking about throwing 6K out there. Man, wish it was closer.

duckseatfree
04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Good price. I just got an '86 this past sept. for 6k...engine runs great, and thought the stringers looked strong and no soft spots....so I thought.

I just replace the carpet last week and some of the flooring was rotted....looks like I'll be replacing the EVERYTHING next year since the stringers seem strong still and I think I can go one more season. So 6-7k for a boat with an engine that runs well and never having to worry about stringer repairs....I would jump on that like Charlie Sheen on crack

87SunSportMikeyD
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
My boat was in GREAT condition for $7500. Someone with vinyl problems, even if the floor and engine are working, is only worth about $5k. imo

cadunkle
04-15-2011, 01:58 PM
The engine doesn't look great, but doesn't look terrible. Check the oil, look for leaks, see how it runs, etc. I would be more concerned about the pooled standing water in the boat. Why is there water puddled in it? Why are there leaves and such everywhere? Why does the boat generally look filthy and neglected?

My concerns, even with composite stringers, would be water damage. Is this how this boat was typically stored (looks like it could be), uncovered and unattended to? So the stringers are composite, are the floors? Are all the composite portions solid composite material? If not water could have found a way in and cause problems... Especially if it was typically stored this way or put away wet over winter. Freeze could have cracked or damaged the composite components. Just food for thought.

Maybe someone else can answer this question... Is there any wood on this boat? If so, where is it? Wood used to brace pieces on the deck or gunnels wouldn't be a big concern. It's high, and typically easy enough to replace.

I would not buy this boat sight unseen. I also couldn't imagine myself paying anywhere near $6000 for it. You're looking at a few thousand to redo the interior, who knows about the engine and trans. At the least if it were my boat and I was redoing the interior I'd be pulling the engine and trans to at least clean them up.

I'd say ask for lots of full resolution pictures of the boat from many angles, underneath, under the floor, close ups, and far away shots. I'd be very nervous about this one otherwise.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all your opinions and wisdom. I'm gonna pass. If this boat is a catastrophe the wife will be impossible if I want another one. Sounds terrible, but my boating future depends on this boat purchase being successful. If I was single I'd be road tripping in the truck right now...

DAFF
04-15-2011, 03:47 PM
When shopping price is key. When something is dirty and unloved equates to great deal.. Sometimes with some cleaning and polishing there are diamonds in the rough. This in my mind is not in this catagory. They are looking for premium buck for that boat. Sure it might have composite members but no deal here.

jsandy
04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
smart move to pass on that one. my boat is a 91 and still rock'n the factory interior and it looks alot beter than that. that poor boat has set many a hot day in the sun without a cover that also means is set through alot of rain. in my experiance anyone who does'nt take car of there boat usualy does'nt do good maintenance to there boat.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
did i miss the link??

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 05:49 PM
did i miss the link??

I only posted a couple of pics, but here is the ad.

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/boa/2323921404.html

Salty87
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
way too many boats for sale to put up with that. they can't even clean it up a little?

it might be a deal for someone. a compression test will tell alot.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Well, the seller did clean it up and took some better pics. I actually got excited for a moment, util I saw this pic. Explains everything...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_QZaj8AJZDTk/Taj0FoGAFfI/AAAAAAAAASY/a_Vlhy_0_pA/s1024/IMG_20110415_174409.jpg

I noticed that there was water under the boat, just where the bilge drain probably is. Must have just drained it after pulling it out of storage. :(

Asked him if he had service records, and response was: "No I done it myself."

So, in the end I'm going to try to buy a '90 454 Saltare. I calculated gas to AR plus hotel is $500 anyway, so I'll just consider that more money to use buying locally. 8)

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I suppose he could have used a hose to clean it, and then later realized he had water in the bilge... but I'm doubting that or other possible scenarios as to how you would end up with dry everywhere except directly under the the boat. Most owners leave the bilge plug out all the time excepts when it's in the water, eh?

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_QZaj8AJZDTk/Taj61w3IDvI/AAAAAAAAASo/YVnKrJOCex0/s1024/IMG_20110415_174558.jpg

smoothfootn
04-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I bought a supra, strangely enough, from Paragould about 2 months ago. It looked just like that on the inside. Its a 91 so it has wood stringers and floor. Got it home, pulled the carpet and found rot! I was able to fix it reasonably cheap, and just finished up this week with the carpet install. (See pics on my conbrio restore post) I would pass on this one unless you are a capable DIY'er or you are likely to have a pile of dough invested to get it where you want. Good luck!

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Lot's of water has been in this boat. Speaker grills, hinges all rusted. Almost looks like there is a water line on the motor cowl base.:(

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_QZaj8AJZDTk/Taj7rgUB3rI/AAAAAAAAAS4/B-3e4ZFAqyk/s1024/IMG_20110415_174436.jpg

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm just sad, because I got attached and was all ready to make an offer.

Ptownkid
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I dunno man...if that price came down a little I get the feeling that it would be a steal for a 94...but it's hard to say without seeing it in person.

Go with your gut on these things though...

smoothfootn
04-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Just noticed the escalade.... UNbelieveable!! This guy had enough money to have that kind of vehicle, but can't manage to put a cover over this boat during the winter and remove the plugs... some people need to get their priorities in order

Ptownkid
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
You guess are making me chuckle...there's a lot of assumptions flying around this thread...how do any of you know that the water isn't a few days old because he just pulled it out? How do you know the leaves didn't end up there from some lazy guys lawn in the last few days?

I'm not saying to NOT be wary...but jumping to conclusions is just silly.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
You guess are making me chuckle...there's a lot of assumptions flying around this thread...how do any of you know that the water isn't a few days old because he just pulled it out? How do you know the leaves didn't end up there from some lazy guys lawn in the last few days?

I'm not saying to NOT be wary...but jumping to conclusions is just silly.

Yeah, I don't like being so negative, but when I look at these pics, the mildew and corrosion all over the motor, speaker grills are all rusted, dog house screws, almost all the seats are cracked....

Anyway, I'm going to move on. I really appreciate everyones input.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I dunno man...if that price came down a little I get the feeling that it would be a steal for a 94...but it's hard to say without seeing it in person.

Go with your gut on these things though...

You could be right. I wish it wasn't 11 hours away. Maybe anther member is on the hunt and will pick it up. I'm sure in the right hands for the right price it could shine again.

rludtke
04-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Maybe it sank.

crystal waters
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
never fall in love with a boat today for you will always be able to find a nicer on tomorrow.
I personally wouldn't touch it for any money!