PDA

View Full Version : Saltare or Sunsport

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
All things being equal, would you rather have a '90 Saltare or '90 Sunsport? :wink:

Ptownkid
04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
I personally like the Saltare better. Bigger, heavier, more space, bigger engine.

Salty87
04-15-2011, 07:53 PM
you can't go wrong either way.

it's sort of a classic comparison though....big and beefy vs light and sporty. just about everything about the saltare is bigger and/or slower...top end, hole shot, time at the pump, trailering/docking, cleaning, garage size needed if you're trying to store indoors.

i've never wanted to downsize but sunsports are fun as he!! to drive. the saltare is more of a tanker.

cadunkle
04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I like my Saltare. I looked at Sunsports and would have got one if the right boat for the right price came along first.

At the end of the day though, I prefer a bigger boat with a big block. I've always driven fullsize cars, and I have a fullsize extended cab pickup. All my vehicles are big blocks except my bike... Just because that wouldn't be practical. Bigger is just my style. I think in comparable condition you'd be happy with either, and at the end of the day if I were deciding between one of each, I'd go with whichever had better stringers/floor/gel... The expensive and hard to repair/replace things would be the deciding factor.

Ptownkid
04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
In the end, I totally agree with the statement that any one of us would be happy with either...if you happen to have the choice between both, take the nicer/better value one.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
So, there's a '90 Sunsport that is original floor and stringers, which appear to be ok. The boat was well loved and stored. Past motor work makes sense and I trust the owner. But for $900 more, there's a '90 454 Saltare, that has had floor and stringers professionally replaced and has also been loved, with maintenance records...

No brainer, I'm going to try to buy the Saltare.

But I'm curious if there was more of a demand for the Sunsport due to wake boarding etc. I don't want to, but current agreement with wife is that this a trial season, and I need to be prepared to sell in August if the trial doesn't go well. (Sigh)

Ptownkid
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Both will be great for wakeboarding, and they produce very similar wakes. The sunsport wake would be slightly smaller in fact, but a little ballast would solve that.

Either boat is great for wakeboarding/surfing...period. The fact that the Saltare has had a stringer job does indeed make it a no brainer!

csuggs
04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
So, there's a '90 Sunsport that is original floor and stringers, which appear to be ok. The boat was well loved and stored. Past motor work makes sense and I trust the owner. But for $900 more, there's a '90 454 Saltare, that has had floor and stringers professionally replaced and has also been loved, with maintenance records...

No brainer, I'm going to try to buy the Saltare.

But I'm curious if there was more of a demand for the Sunsport due to wake boarding etc. I don't want to, but current agreement with wife is that this a trial season, and I need to be prepared to sell in August if the trial doesn't go well. (Sigh)

Either boat would be great! Something else to think about though . . . Will your tow vehicle pull either one? A Sunsport weighs in at about 2500 w/o trailer and I'm sure a Saltare is heavier but not sure how much. Also, if you are storing the boat indoors (highly recommended) is your storage area long enough for either boat? I for one think that the "trial" will turn into passion.

asmodeus2112
04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Either boat would be great! Something else to think about though . . . Will your tow vehicle pull either one? A Sunsport weighs in at about 2500 w/o trailer and I'm sure a Saltare is heavier but not sure how much. Also, if you are storing the boat indoors (highly recommended) is your storage area long enough for either boat? I for one think that the "trial" will turn into passion.

I have a 1942 Willy's jeep that I welded some angle iron too and screwed a ball on. Used to pull my Hobie Cat around, should do for one of these boats. ;)

No, seriously, I have a Ridgeline that can tow 5K. Not a "Hauler", but will do fine. I'm actually going to drag one of these boats all the way up to Wisconsin for a month... yeah, I know, what am I thinking... (This may be a mid life crisis, but I'm hoping that it's just the start if it is. :D)

Just like these boats, my house is vintage too. Only thing that would fit would be an old Nautique. As much as I like the Nautiques, an open bow is a must with the kids I think. Also, my wife doesn't like boats. She is trying hard to be cool and let me have a chance, but somehow a small, low freeboard boat that doesn't take the chop well and once in a while will take a roller over the side isn't a way to convince her to sign up for season #2. :rolleyes:

Ptownkid
04-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Then get the Saltare, haha

michael hunter
04-16-2011, 09:46 AM
The Salt weighs in at 3450 dry and the Sun weighs in at 2950 dry. Add in fuel ,trailer and equipment you are looking at another 1500-1800lbs. That's 5250lbs for the Salt and 4750lbs for the Sun. Even though your Honda is rated at 5000 I think it will be maxed out even with the Sun. If you try a long trip it will certainly be detrimental to the Honda. The biggest problem will be stopping safely. In a emergency situation the boat will steer the car especially the Salt.

asmodeus2112
04-16-2011, 09:42 PM
The Salt weighs in at 3450 dry and the Sun weighs in at 2950 dry. Add in fuel ,trailer and equipment you are looking at another 1500-1800lbs. That's 5250lbs for the Salt and 4750lbs for the Sun. Even though your Honda is rated at 5000 I think it will be maxed out even with the Sun. If you try a long trip it will certainly be detrimental to the Honda. The biggest problem will be stopping safely. In a emergency situation the boat will steer the car especially the Salt.

Yes, you have a valid point there. I was talking with several people on the Ridgeline owners forum that tow at capacity and say the truck does well, but it always is nice to have some overhead when towing. My calcs for the Salt come in at 4975 lbs. with some conservative slop, but it is a lot either way. An older boat may have some extra weight in water somewhere to. One would hope not, but still.

asmodeus2112
04-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Does anyone want one of these anymore?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2304257350.html

cadunkle
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't consider one unless your focus is on slalom. Doesn't look like much freeboard. Heck, I doubt I'd be entirely comfortable in that just unweighted on the river, what with huge tug and tanker wakes and such.

That was one of the things I like about my Saltare... It's big, heavy, and has loads of freeboard. Smooth, dry and comfortable on the river. No worries about taking rollers over the bow and no reason to get nervous when the big ships come through.

sybrmike
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I can tell you that even my Ram 1500 would hunt for gears in the tow mode just on overpasses with the Saltare behind. Granted, a quad cab, long bed, 4x4, w/ camper shell was already a load for the 5.7 hemi, but I'da thought twice before hauling from Austin to Wisconsin with it.

Never had it on a scale, but it's a load back there. I don't think the tranny in that Ridgeline would like the hills on 2222 & around Austin long term. And like others said, pulling is one thing - stopping safely is an entirely different matter.

stinky_1
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I am sure the guys on the ridgeline forum have told you all ready. If your towing I hope you have a very big tranny cooler in that thing. Its got a weak 2nd gear that likes to blow itself out when loaded too much. I am certain their 5000 lbs capacity is based on what the chasis can handle, and not what that engine/tranny is truly capable of.

The salty will be heavier, and after your trial this year you may end up looking for a real truck so you can keep your boat. I wouldnt plan to pull a salty with that truck for long. So one of the two would have to go. If you have no intention of getting rid of the honda for something with more towing power you will want to seriously consider low balling the sunsport owner and see if you can get that at a better price. It sucks to pass up on a deal for something better. But if you cant get your family to the lake safely then why bother in the first place.

Not to mention your wife wont be happy if you end up rolling your family into a ditch on your trial summer. I would think that will be a quick experiment killer.

If you do end up getting the salty anyway, Ill offer $2000 for it at the end of the season if you decide to sell.

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
If you do end up getting the salty anyway, Ill offer $2000 for it at the end of the season if you decide to sell.

2k is a deal as long as you will get it out of the ditch...

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the wisdom. I just have to decide where to compromise...

I've been looking for about 4 weeks, and one Saltare, 2 Sunsports and one Conbrio are the only decent choices. How often do these boats come up for sale? Am I lucky to have this much choice, or is it safe to wait? :confused:

stinky_1
04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Am I lucky to have this much choice, or is it safe to wait? :confused:

if those are all reasonably close to you then I would say your lucky. There was nothing at all even close to me when I bought mine. I had to drive from Alberta Canada to Chicago to pick up my Sunsport.

I have seen a few decent ones pop up on CL, but they are all a healthy drive away from me.