PDA

View Full Version : Conbrio vs. Nautique

asmodeus2112
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know how these two boats compare in regards to freeboard, rough water ride, catching a wave over the bow and similar?

mapleleaf
04-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Notsure which Nautique you're talking about, but I'd say not many other boats can compete with the low freeboard of the comp/conbrio. Not great for rough water and def. easy to take waves over the bow if you're not careful. Took me a bit to learn to avoid them!!

asmodeus2112
04-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Darn, wife won't like that. Was referring to a SN 2001 hull...

michael hunter
04-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Both boats are primarily ski boats I think you would be better off with a Sunsport. It has a higher free-board and isn't too bad in rough water.

Ptownkid
04-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Pretty sure an SN 2001 is deeper than a comp...

Salty87
04-17-2011, 08:12 PM
+1 on getting sunsport if you want a 20'. everything else in that age/$ range will sit lower in the water.

stinky_1
04-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a Nautique just prior to the SN2001. if your are seriously trying to choose between that or a conbrio I would go with the conbrio! You will love the idea of the open bow on there vs closed bow on the SN2001.

the wake on the 2001 is a bit steeper with a lip that will shoot you straight in the air while wakeboarding. it is abrupt and not many other boats do that. The sad part is your landing hole on the other side of the wake is equally as small. So your knees will pay the price if you are short or long on your Wake to Wake jumps

as for the freeboard. You will be close to the same in either boat. The nautique takes water over the front very very easy. you can fix this with some good driving. but it takes a few tries of soaking everyone on board before you figure it out. I know you wont believe me, but the people in the open bow will get less wet than people in a closed bow. While the nose is down in the water it scoops it all onto the bow. As the rest of the boat rides the wave upwards it runs all that water straight back towards the windsheild and is flung off and up into the air. This creates a giant wall of water that soaks everyone on board. In an open bow you will still scoop the water but it falls onto the seats in the open bow. Anyone in there will get wet, but from their waist down. The water that comes inside will run along the floor and get everything on the floor wet, as well as everyone elses feet. At least the rest of them is dry though, which will NOT happen in the 2001.

Hope that helps

crystal waters
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Own an 89 Conbrio and love it! Yes it is a bit of a wet boat but you quickly learn how to drive the boat so the boat stays dry. In addition the boat comes with a tonneau cover that snaps down over the playpen open bow. I have mine on at all times and take it off only when cruising leisurly or floating on the lake. Thus a closed bow when you want it! The wake for water skiing is superior to the Natique I feel.
The freeboard is about the same. As for rough water, I have had mine in some major storms pulling in others who were broken down and the boat performed great! Hull is built with Kevlar in it so very strong and not much flex as compared to others. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine out in rough water if need be.

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Awesome information, this helps a ton.

Conbrio would be great because it will fit in garage, easier to tow, and yes, I'm old and like to ski.

Sunsport or Saltare would be much better for the skittish wife and wake boarding, but will not fit in garage and more of a challenge to tow.

There isn't a perfect answer is there?

Ptownkid
04-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Well...you ski right? So get the conbrio and lose the wife, lol...jussssst kidding. Or am I?

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Well...you ski right? So get the conbrio and lose the wife, lol...jussssst kidding. Or am I?

Or are you?

Ptownkid
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Haha, of course I'm kidding...

It seems as if the wife will be the deal breaker, so you better please her, which means higher freeboard.

However...can you tow it?

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Haha, of course I'm kidding...

It seems as if the wife will be the deal breaker, so you better please her, which means higher freeboard.

However...can you tow it?

Ah shoot, too many variables. The Salt is sweet, right price and has had floor stringers professionally done. There is a nice Sunsport, but the Texas fires may consume it! If not, it's not much cheaper than the Salt. There is a nice Conbrio, but it has soft spots and is pretty expensive, so no thanks. (I want the Salt)

I'm talking and researching towing with the Ridge. No mention of weak 2nd gear and quite a few people towing at 5K. It's pretty flat from TX to WI.

Ptownkid
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
If you can, go with that Saltare!!!

wspeedin
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Whats the price on the Saltare and the Sunsport you are looking at?

Tackleberry
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure about the older model Supras, but any Nautique sucks in choppy water compared to a later model Supra. Even the Air Nautiques ride like crap. They are nice though.

asmodeus2112
04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Whats the price on the Saltare and the Sunsport you are looking at?

7-9k range