PDA

View Full Version : Original vs. Replaced Stringers

asmodeus2112
04-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Anybody wanna make a guess at how many late 80's and early 90's boats with wood are still original vs. rebuilt?

Are two small soft spots a sign of unavoidable doom, or could the floor be patched?

michael hunter
04-19-2011, 07:05 AM
If the boat has been stored inside and dried after using the stringers and floor will be fine.
Unforchantly most were not . If you have soft spots its a sure thing that you will have to rebuild . Depending on how bad you might be able to get a few more years. Check the motor mount bolts for rot.

csuggs
04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
If the boat has been stored inside and dried after using the stringers and floor will be fine.
Unforchantly most were not . If you have soft spots its a sure thing that you will have to rebuild . Depending on how bad you might be able to get a few more years. Check the motor mount bolts for rot.

Michael's right . . .

wotan2525
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Anybody wanna make a guess at how many late 80's and early 90's boats with wood are still original vs. rebuilt?

Are two small soft spots a sign of unavoidable doom, or could the floor be patched?

I used to think they were all bad by this point... but... I believe if the boat was stored inside and uncovered (or on a covered lift.) They probably MIGHT be OK. I haven't yet seen a story on here of someone with a soft floor that didn't have some kind of stringer damage.