PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder Install

supra87
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
i have a 1987 supra comp ts6m and a depth finder/fish finder(new in box) i was wondering how simple it is to install...i havent looked at it closely yet

thanks,
zak

cadunkle
04-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I got one with a through hull transducer and it was easy as can be to install. Biggest thing is picking a good spot for the transducer and cleaning/prepping the spot to epoxy to the hull. I mounted mine under my transmissions just in front of the coupler. Works great. Mine is a Saltare so you may have a better spot to mount on your Comp.

Jetlink
04-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I played around with the through hull function and found it difficult to get a good spot to get a good reading all the time. I ended up mounting mine at the stern of the boat under the platform. My depth finder has the ability to run a "keel offset" as well and I run a two foot offset just for peace of mind.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
If it is the thru hull style the install is pretty simple, as already stated. You do need to find the right spot to mount the transducer though. Mine is just to the starboard side of the bilge area a little forward of the transmission to shaft coupler and it seems to work just fine.

csuggs
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Mine is a Humminbird thru-hull style and located the transducer just under the side of transmission. It seems to be very accurate and I always get a reading.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03155-1.jpg

wotan2525
04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I really hate when you post pictures of your engine. That thing is so so clean! Also -- PVC for the raw water pickup?!

sybrmike
04-20-2011, 04:40 PM
If it's a thru-hull transducer, you can put the transducer in a baggie filled with water & rubber band around the cable exit. Then you can place the baggie/transducer in different locations and press it against the hull to see what works best before permanently attaching.

I think Clint's next project should be a clear acrylic doghouse.

smoothfootn
04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
That motor is spotless. I'm pretty sure my silverware isn't as clean. I got a Uniden Depth finder on ebay and the transducer was supposed to have a 2" hole cut through the hull. I just globbed a bunch of silicon on it and stuck it to the hull right in front of the motor. You have to be careful to get no air bubbles though. Took it to the lake today and it seemed to work fine. It is a not so permanent approach if you are not sure where to put it. There is a pic on my photobucket album. You can find the link on my 91 conbrio restore thread.
b

96Comp
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I epoxied mine under the trans just forward of the coupling. Works well. Tried the bilge. Did not work well there. Go for the trans or raw water intake area on the comp. The pics of the engine are beautiful. I don't even have underwear that clean!!!!

Blackntan90
04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
My transducer is mounted to the anti-cav plate, does not work well at speed, o.k. going slow. I need to move it!