PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Log Construction

csuggs
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Look at this pic of the underside of a 1995 Comp. I want to know if other Supra's have a "finished" shaft log opening on the underside of the boat. My '86 looks nothing like this - just an angled hole cut through the hull with no finishing. Notice the difference.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/suprabottom.jpg

Ptownkid
04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
that pic is wayyyyyyy to small to see...

sybrmike
04-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I noticed the raw glass edges in your previous pic in the rebuild thread? Nope, never seen that before. I'm currently sanding the around the opening on mine, so know the opening on my 89 is finished with gelcoat. There was a 1/8"-1/4" gap between the hull and the shaft log floor flange, but I've since filled that with 5200.

Did Viper do any work that would have taken them down in that area?

mapleleaf
04-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Can't see your pic Clint, but I recall the through hull on my Conbrio being finished, similar to the curl on a car fender. I'll be reglassing in my shaft log this yr so I'll get some pics up, might even have the boat home Sunday!!!!!

dshaff24
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Haven t scene my boat for a month but I believe mine its just like the last picture.

cadunkle
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Mine is more like Mike's, which makes sense since we have the same boat. It's not the prettiest, but it's a lot nicer finished than the previous post. No offense but that last one looks like a drunken sailer went to town with a sawzall. Guess that's how they did it back then though? I guess it really doesn't matter so long as you have enough clearance and the log is sealed good.

wotan2525
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
!!!!! AWFUL!

Mine looks a lot more like the first than the last. It's "finished." Those other ones are not complete.

csuggs
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Sorry about the pic being too small. But here is mine - and it was that way before Viper did any work. I think I may have asked Jim about that at one time and I think he said that's how they were - at least from 83-86 . . . seems like they should have been finished.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03281.jpg

crystal waters
04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
89 CONBRIO - mine is all glassed in , tapered nice and neat!
Nothing like the pics above.

cadunkle
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I put a new shaft bellows hose on mine tonight and I did notice the fit and finish inside was not great. The glass and resin inside the boat was too tight in a couple spots to easily get the first clamp on leaving enough room for the second to clamps securely on the log. I had to sand it down a bit and even then it was a fight to get it on. I didn't want to go crazy removing material.