PDA

View Full Version : My '86 Sunsport

duckseatfree
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I just took this picture yesterday and I had to put it up!

I bought my Sunsport last September and it was in pretty good shape, or so I thought. There were a few soft spots on the floor and I had to do 2 patch jobs over the past few weeks. Luckily the stringers look to be in pretty good shape (motor mounts are tight) but I'm thinking about doing a complete restoration after the season is over.

I hate the fact that I have to leave it in the water for the season, but I'll have to do for now since I probably won't get a truck that can pull it untill Sept. and I can tell it has a waterline after 5 days! That's going to be a lot of scrubbing over the weekend.

I was thinking about getting a new wrap to put around it, but i'm starting to dig the retro look...what do ya think?

sybrmike
04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Retro rocks (but I'm old school -well, at least old).

Swooping bow rails & teak stern rails will keep her vintage obvious, so don't fight it. Appreciate and enjoy the classics - looks nice the way she is.

TitanTn
04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Retro rocks (but I'm old school -well, at least old).

Swooping bow rails & teak stern rails will keep her vintage obvious, so don't fight it. Appreciate and enjoy the classics - looks nice the way she is.

I second this!

Ptownkid
04-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Sure, retro will always be cool. Wraps may have a shelf life.

100% agreed! She looks great.

DAFF
04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Wrap her with lots of 3m wax!!!! Not many all white Sunsports out there. Trust me I've been looking!!!

duckseatfree
04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Wrap her with lots of 3m wax!!!! Not many all white Sunsports out there. Trust me I've been looking!!!

I love the White! Going to be doing some wet sanding in the off season!

Any suggestions as to what to clean her with in while I'm in the water? Its something I'm going to have to do every few days because it gets dirty quick!

DAFF
04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I would find someone to pull her out for a week or two. During that time spend some time wet sanding and polishing. The trick in keeping something clean is to start with a clean slate. This way the white will have a better chance from turning cream...

csuggs
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I like the "old-school with upgrades" look, but then again - we have nearly the same boat with all the white! Here's a before and after photo taken 1 year apart.

Ducks - If you wanna keep the OEM look why not just replace the wave decals? You can get them from Skier's Choice and they are easy to apply. That's what I did originally - the first photo shows original stripes and a replacement wave.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC01842a-1.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02748-2.jpg