PDA

View Full Version : help with oil pressure sender

waterboy2010
04-21-2011, 11:36 PM
The oil level in my vdrive case is fine but my light always stays on even when under throttle. I want to take out the oil pressure sender unit and clean all the connections to see if it helps with the light. If that doesn't work I am even going to change out the oil pressure sender with a new unit. Other than bad wires or a bad sender i don't know what it could be. The piece that the sender goes into is all rusted up, as you can see in the pictures. Could this be the reason, I wouldn't think so but I really don't know. Also how do I remove the oil pressure sender so I can clean all the connections. And if I do remove it is oil going to spill all out in the bilge?

I have a hard time getting to it due to the two hoses my fingers are on in the second pic. They look like they both run to the gas tank. Would I be okay in removing these hoses or should I stick with working around them?

Sluggo
04-22-2011, 12:55 AM
I replaced mine in my 2005 22SSV without removing any hoses and did not spill much if any oil. I know this is probably a given, but make sure your oil level is good, as that will cause the light to stay on. I believe I got mine from SKIDIM.COM and right now they are $41. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WAL49

Dave

beast 496
04-22-2011, 08:04 AM
The steel fitting which you are screwing the sending units into, could be rusted solid also. Remove both sending units, and the fitting. Clean as needed. Al

wotan2525
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Best is right. In order for this to work correctly it needs to ground through the fitting -- so if it's rusted/corroded it won't work.

waterboy2010
04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
thanks everyone for the replies. I bought a new one just in case but i was going to try and clean the old one first. I will try cleaning it tomorrow, but was wondering how to get it off to clean it. I tried twisting it counterclockwise with my hand with no luck. It is shaped awkardly and i don't want to break anything. Since the other fitting is rusted i may spray some pb blaster onto the treads but what should i grip it with to twist it off? Vice grips? Sluggo how did you remove yours? Also i know you said you didn't spill much oil but if I were to remove the other fitting to clean also do you think I would spill much more oil?

Sluggo
04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I just swapped out the sensor, not the fitting it screws into. I just used an open end wrench to remove it. I believe the oil level in vdrive is much lower than the sensor or the fitting it is connected to, so there should be no issue with a ton of oil coming out.

waterboy2010
09-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to update just in case anyone else was searching the same problem. I replaced the oil level sending unit and cleaned all connections and now my warning light goes off when the rpms are up like it is suppossed to. Thanks everyone for their replies.