PDA

View Full Version : Surf ballast install

Fman
04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
My last project for the VLX is now complete. I thought I would throw up some pictures for anyone else interested in doing this modification to there boat. I installed the FLY HI 750 LB rear sacs in the ski lockers, with Johnson Impeller driven pumps.

All parts were ordered from Wakemakers.com - Thanks Jason and Spencer, they are always willing to help and answer questions. This mod is done on my VLX, but it can easily be applied to any wakeboard boat.

Thru-hulls were installed by Superior Ski and Storage in Rancho Cordova, thanks Bob! I wimped out on drilling the holes... It was an hour labor for them to do it, but I felt much better having someone else drill into my boat. After watching them do it, I would not hesitate to do it myself next time. Its a measure and look three times, and then drill the hole.

Johnsom pumps were mounted in the rear storage lockers under the seating area. I was going to mount them in the rear ski locker on the back panel but I would loose the capability of storing longer board (ie: kneeboards, surfboards) so I went to the storage locker. This locker area seems to work well and if I ever need to replace an impeller they are easy to access.

The 1" quick disconnects were a PIA to install. I called wakemakers and thought they sent me the wrong ones, I was then informed they are 1-1/16" inch and the 1" flex line needs to be heated with some lube. After I did this with a hairdryer they went on.... wish I would have known this before the bloody knuckles kicked in from trying to force them on the hose!

I installed the toggle switches in drivers helm area, I used an exacto knife to cut the vinyle, started a hole with the drill, and then used a dremel tool to grind down the opening and fit the switch base in.

For wiring, the hot was ran directly off the common perko switch post. I went this route to not have the pumps working if the batteries are shut off and the Johnson pumps also pull about 12 amps at start-up so I was told this is a good hot source to tap off of. All wiring is 10/12 gauge with in-line fuses for both pumps.

I also vented the bags with a one-way check valve, tied into the existing thru-hull with a "Y" fitting. Used the existing drain line that came from Malibu.

Went out to the lake today for a test run, everything worked great.... the johnson pumps are pretty quick, and they flatten the bags out pancake thin when you drain them. The 1" Line gives them pretty good speed (720 GPH). Attached are a few pictures of the project, install time was a full-day.... because nothing is ever easy for me when working on the boat!

Now we need some warmer weather! for people who visit Folsom.... there is a LOT of debris in the water, so be careful if you go out there.

Fman
04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Few more pics...

Okie Boarder
04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Looks good. Are the Johnson's ignition protected? Did you get the bezel for the switches from Wakemakers too?

Fman
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Looks good. Are the Johnson's ignition protected? Did you get the bezel for the switches from Wakemakers too?

Yes, Johnson pumps are ignition protected, and the Bezels were provided by wakemakers. You can get timers for the pumps, but they are $99 each, pretty pricey.... so you have to keep an eye on the pumps when draining. They are pretty loud, and you can definitely hear the motor change pitch when all the water is sucked out of the bags

Okie Boarder
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Cool...I'll check on those bezels...that would be a nice finishing touch for my switch. I am using a Simer pump and I have it mounted where the non-ignition protection isn't an issue. I would agree on the noise...I can definitely tell the difference between it pushing water and pushing air. Hopefully I'll upgrade my system at some point for multiple pumps and have everything plumbed in, but my single pump and hose filling one bag at a time works OK for now.

sidetracked3
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
You have only had the boat a short time and already doing mod's. Have you even had it in the water yet?

Fman
06-06-2011, 05:05 AM
You have only had the boat a short time and already doing mod's. Have you even had it in the water yet?

Just turned 18 hours, and will be on the water all next week. I really needed the extra weight for surfing, I definitely am not trying to acquire anymore boat expenses right now.... So this will be it for awhile :D