PDA

View Full Version : Supra Construction

Tschwerm
04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I am curious how did Supra build their boats in 91 ?

Hand laid fiberglass or chopper gun?

beast 496
04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Boats are made with both proccess. Gel spray is first coat into mold second is shredded chop mixed with catalized resin. This is hand rolled to eliminate any air pockets. There might be several coats of chop applied. Then a layer of woven material is saturated with catalized resin. Various places can have layers of coremate, with is also saturated with resin. All of these items must be hand rolled, or squeeged out. Once hull is skined, the stringers are then applied. The stringers are bedded down with fillers and mat. The stringers are covered with woven material rolled out and bonded to the hull. The floor is applied once the stringers are skinned and preliminary set up is cured, usually 4 to 5 hrs. Once the floor is applied and cured, the hull can be "popped" from the mold. The hull is then placed onto a dolly and pushed into the grinding room, This is where all the foam is injected into the cavities of the hull and rough glass is ground smooth. Next is interior spray of gel in bilge. This process is usually only 24 hrs to 36hrs max. Al

Tschwerm
04-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I have read that all Mastercraft were hand laid not chopper gun. I understand the gel coat process first on all fiberglass boats but once you get that done you have a choice. Just curious if Supra since the founder Fowler came from Mastercraft if he built the Supra the same?