PDA

View Full Version : Improving fuel economy

Ptownkid
04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
So, what kinds of things should i be looking at to get the best fuel economy out of my 454? I realise that using 454 and fuel economy in the same sentence is rather comical...but that's exactly why it's time to start looking at this topic.

Suggestions?

Okie Boarder
04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Shut off the engine? :p

cadunkle
04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Run as much timing as it'll take without detonation, and as quick of a curve as it'll take. Generally old iron heads love timing and performance will improve well past the point of detonation, so be careful not to over-do it.

Run a carb with annular boosters at least on the primary side. Jet it as lean as it'll take without getting a lean surge.

Turn a large higher pitch prop. Whatever has the power you need to get on plane in a reasonable time and won't lug the engine at riding speed. If you use vacuum secondaries make sure they are not opening at your riding speed, you should be cruising on primaries only. If it's a double pumper make sure the linkage is adjusted so your not into the secondaries at riding speed. Make sure it's in good tune, clean, float levels properly set, not dripping fuel out of the boosters.

That's about all I got.

michael hunter
04-27-2011, 06:17 AM
If the engine is in good shape and tuned correctly the only thing you can do is run it less.
As gas prices go up we spend more time swimming and relaxing. It cost nothing to run the stereo.

jet
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
PROOOOOP! The more it slips or spins the more gas your going to use. And, unhook the back barrels you dont need them. Jet

Hagman
04-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I need those back barrels my buddies like to bare foot.

beast 496
04-28-2011, 08:36 AM
We have a 496 HO and love it. We will still get 3 mpg at cruising speeds, 30 mph. At WOT 52 mph that is significantly less, but still at footing speeds 42 mph a respectable number can be had. I don't have an exact mpg on footing speeds however. ON the 454, verify you have electronic ignition, ditch the points. Tune in the carb, stiffen the secondary spring if vacuum advance. Easy on the take offs, ect. You can run a higher pitched prop, but keep the WOT rpm's within minimum specs 4,000 rpm minimum. I run our 496 right on the rev limiter, with a very light load, 5,150. But remember it is not miles per gallon, but rather Smiles per gallon. Good luck Al

Ptownkid
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I've looked up prop info on here a bunch of times...and there seems to be a ridiculous amount of mis-information and contradicting statements...so who actually KNOWS what prop is best for fuel economy in a wake/surf situation. I realise that surfing will eat gas...

jet
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
I think even barefooting you can get away from using the back barrels. Try it! The back barrels add more torque but I bet the difference may not be noticed by the footer. Try it!

cadunkle
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I thought you were joking Jet. If your tuned properly with a vacuum secondary they won't be open at normal riding speeds, maybe only briefly to get up to speed. Though though likely will be open at footin' speeds To compensate for no secondaries you'll just be opening the primaries more. If you can't afford the couple dollars difference (if that), then you can't afford a day on the water.

If you don't want the most performance and possibly to save a little fuel, run your jetting square or as lean as possible with no extra enrichment on the secondary side. Or run a 350 or 500 CFM Holley 2 barrel carb. My point is, you're barking up the wrong tree to save fuel by tying the secondaries closed.

beast 496
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Proper proping is Science mixed with art. Each boat/engine combination is different, each operation of said boat is different. Some people load the hull with weight, some keep it light. Basically the less slippage available the better performace for economy. 4 blade props do have less slippage but are slower top speed props. check out this site for prop slippage formula's
http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/propslipcalculator.php

Just a side note, I am running a 1,000 CFM thottle bore on our 496HO. For fuel economy, I suspect we get better than most sunsport hulls with small blocks. Keep em in tune. Al

Safety Bob
04-30-2011, 12:57 AM
What about going to a MPI unit? If a MPI unit with distributor, ECM, and all necessary parts could be had at a great deal, would the conversion improve both throttle response and improve mileage? Has anyone on here ever performed a conversion before?

beast 496
04-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Sure it will, but how many years to break even, and if you have a Ford, you are extreamly limited. I removed the enemic 454 carbed and installed a 496 HO MPI distributerless and have not looked back. Al

Safety Bob
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Do you have any pictures? Did you install a new motor, remanufactured motor, or did you build it yourself? I frequent the Barbie Chain, Webster Lake, and Wawasee every now and again. Are you on Wawasee? I learned to ski in Johnson's Bay 30 years ago!

DAFF
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
The best way to save fuel is to run a little slower and EZ on the take offs. It might not be as much fun but there is a method to my madness....

Make sure you leave you fat friends at home and opt for the super skinny blondes... Thats way you wont mind the 250 bones for the afternoon of boating.......

beast 496
05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Safety Bob, We live in Syacuse and our shop is just North of Barts Water ski. PM me and I will sned phone #. If you are in the area you can come to the shop and visit. I keep our boat inside the shop area. I can post some photos when we return from a launch at Lake Erie. Should be home tomorrow night. Al