PDA

View Full Version : Strainer mounting ideas

csuggs
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm installing a raw water strainer in line between the pickup and the transmission cooler. I purchased a 1" Sherwood strainer from skidim, and now I'm considering ideas for mounting the unit. Anyone got a good idea or pics? My boat never had a strainer installed before.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18005

oldman
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Shut off valve, strainer, hose hook up and oil cooler pretty simple.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/Ivarker/P1030793.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/Ivarker/P1030792.jpg

csuggs
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Isn't it a little difficult to empty the strainer with it being that close to the floor? My configuration is different than yours - I'll post pics when I can. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea for a mounting bracket for the strainer other than using the plumbing to hold it in place. I do like the idea of a valve before the strainer so you can empty the strainer with the boat in the water if necessary.

Another thing I notice in your pic is the very short distance between your PSS seal and prop shaft flanges. Mine is much longer than that. Which model boat do you have?

oldman
04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Isn't it a little difficult to empty the strainer with it being that close to the floor? My configuration is different than yours - I'll post pics when I can. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea for a mounting bracket for the strainer other than using the plumbing to hold it in place. I do like the idea of a valve before the strainer so you can empty the strainer with the boat in the water if necessary.

Another thing I notice in your pic is the very short distance between your PSS seal and prop shaft flanges. Mine is much longer than that. Which model boat do you have?

No it is very easy to unscrew and lower down with plenty of room to spare and clean. Yes it is a short distance and it makes it more difficult to install the seal. 89 Sunsport, don't really know how to change it.

jzelt
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Pretty much the same as Oldman's but mine is v-drive with a whole lot less access room. It is on the port side between the transmission and the intake.
No bracket support.

I use one of these to loosen the container http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/X1VZk_Wyt1uADewUjFkkSwvN1CW0AFP9pPNvO_4YRAzRJX4o4-iKlmXIp3pBsy2z3bQZVIKPpDPWEUmPltmDf16Vxfrv3XSu_b8u KAle57zYw4ZB7Po2rMnJ1nxkTy4rOu_Yr-1SnR8A_7hC9um_WQwyIUs to empty out and I do it after winterizing the boat so it doesn't freeze and crack. (I haven't noticed much debris in it, but that is a good thing).

viking
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Mines installed just in place with the intake hoses holding it. Easy access and easy to pull and clean the screen while on the water as it's located higher up and no need for shut off valve.

csuggs
05-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I hadn't thought of that, but I guess as long as the filter is mounted above the water line, there is no need for a shutoff.

Mani
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Mine is above the water line, but what's holding is up is the transmission filter, and it is surprisingly sturdy at that. It will barely move even with me pushing on it, eventhough it isn't hard mounted to anything.

I had to pull the strainer off out on the lake, once. Just make sure you keep the intake hose over the waterline. ;)

csuggs
05-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Finished up installing the strainer and hoses last night. I think I got it just high enough to be above the water line and just low enough to clear the storage compartment in the aft part of the motor cover. :D

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03361.jpg

Okie Boarder
05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Looks good...I like the placement.

cadunkle
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Maybe it's just the angle but looks to me like you have a reducer after the through hull and then back to larger diameter after the strainer? Also, I'd throw a ball valve in that vertical section of hose since it looks like you have room for one.

csuggs
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Must be the angle - the through-hull fitting is 1-1/4" so there's a 1-1/4" elbow, then reducer bushing to 1", then all 1" from there. I didn't add the valve becuase a 1" brass valve was $36 and since the strainer is above the water line I figured I could get along without it. (Just the brass you see in the pic was about $60) :mad:

cadunkle
05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Not to be "that guy" but is your insurance deductible more than $36? Do you spend more than $36 worth of gas every time the hull gets wet?

csuggs
05-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Point well taken, cadunkle. If the strainer was below the water line I would have definitely went with a valve, but since it's not I thought the valve was something I could do without.

dusty2221
05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Mine doesn't have a valve from the factory on the main intake.

This also brings up a wierd point..my 06 20ssv had a strainer factory installed for the main intake. I've been in 2 06 24ssv's now (including mine) and neither have a factory strainer. Why on earth would this be?

wolfeman131
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Dusty - strange to me too, but even in the 2011 Supra catalog the water strainer is listed as an option for all models.

Okie Boarder
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Remind me again the purpose of the strainer?

wolfeman131
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Catches crap before it messes up the important stuff. Mostly weeds/grass, etc. I don't think I need one as my lake is fairly free of this kind of stuff, but I've been on some boats in FL that require the strainer to be cleaned out after a day on the water.

Okie Boarder
05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
That's kind of what I recalled. My scupper actually has vertical grooves that act like somewhat of a screen so is it not as big an issue? I ride on lakes that aren't full of weeds and grass so I've never really concerned myself with it too much.

cadunkle
05-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Mine has the scupper with the slits as well, and no strainer. Not too weedy where i ride, but when I pulled the hoses apart for winterization last year there were a few weeds in the trans cooler. Never had overheating problems, and my thermostat was actually failed and not closing completely... Boat was hitting 110* on the water, maybe 120* if running hard. So couldn't have been affecting anything. No sediment or junk in the block or manifold drains when I pulled those either. Just depends on how much junk is in the water where you ride.