PDA

View Full Version : Tower Sway, cody, anyone can you advise?

dusty2221
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Quick question, any of you guys notice the tower swaying side to side? The 24 is still new to me, but I don't recall having the sway on our 20ssv. I know having 4 HLCD's up top in the Roswell might cause a little more than when it just had the Co-ax speakers in it since the HLCD are so heavy, but that's so common I don't think it would be an issue.

I have had the tower completely loose so I could replace the feet pads since the factory ones had walked out. I'm wondering, can anyone advice a tightening method, or maybe a torque limit? It feels to me like it is tight enough, but I'm really not liking the amount of sway it has.

Any insight here?

cmtaylor777
05-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Sway When? While pulling or trailering?

Bryan's sways back and forth a lot while trailering.

iwakeboard
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Dusty, as Chad asked, do you have the sway when underway or when trailering? Does it sway at a stand still, like you can stand by it and shake it?

The tower shouldn't have any more weight up top than what comes from the factory on the Kicker bar, and with 4 HLCD's you could be quite alot heavier than that. I weighed one of the Kicker bars once and it weighed something like 45lbs and I weighed a single Wetsounds 485 and it weighed more than that by itself. More often, however, we see a swaying problem with improper installs, something not being tight or something not being installed properly. The sway, if not a result of excessive weight up top, has to be coming from somewhere loose, it could be the deck flexing because there isn't a backing plate installed, it could be the bolt holes are drilled out too large, or it could be loose bolts up in the top of the tower in the sweeps. The bolts that hook the rails up to the deck are 1/4"-20-3" meaning the torque spec is somewhere between 12 to 14 ft/lbs, but if the installer used anti-seize then it could reduce that number slightly. There are alot of things it could be, but generally it's either an improper install or excessive weight up top. I've got a 24 as well and my tower has no sway at all and I've had it off before too.

dusty2221
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I can stand in the boat on the trailer and create the same sway I am seeing while towing and on the water. I can visibly see the deck flex. I didn't figure it was weight related due to the enormous amount of systems larger than mine out there.

When we removed, which it never was taken off, just taken loose, then each leg raised just enough to slide the new style pads under. The tower sat on the boat unbolted in the exact position it gets bolted in, as in there was not one leg that needed some help going back or anything. All the OEM "Fender Washers" that where installed between the bottom of the deck and the nuts went back into place, and the front legs had large backing plates that matched the shape of the foot. It went back on exactly as it was loosened.

Like I said, its at all times, you can see the deck flex, and I know its at least the 12-14 ft/lbs tight. Any suggestions? I can cut some scrap metal that runs from the front to back on the rear leg outside two bolts, not much I can do to the 3rd bold on the rear leg, nothing to tie it to.

Matt Laird
05-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Dusty, I have about 6-8" of sway while pulling a rider, just jumped in ther & gave it a tug, I cant make the deck flex much... I would think any metal you would add could rub & cause more damage than good... Might call skiers choice & ask them..