PDA

View Full Version : Backward Mufflers '90 Sunsport

SunsportClassic90
05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum but not new to boating. I have a '90 Sunsport Classic since new. I decided it was time to do an inspection of some hidden hardware and perform some to needed maintenance. I pulled the gas tank and noticed both muffler are on backwards. Would this effect performance or function and if so how difficult would it be to put them in the correct way?

sybrmike
05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I just recently put mine back in. They have about 3-4 sets of partial baffles that extend from the roof and floor perpendicular to the flow. The only difference I remember front to rear was that the baffles were offset towards one end (exit end I think) with some open chamber towards the other end. Don't see how it would hamper engine performance, but may not be as efficient at reducing sound if reversed.

You'd have to either pull the flapper and thru-hull to slide the muffler rearward off the pipe, or pull the hose between the manifold and exhaust pipe & slide the pipe forward. If it's still original with foam below the floor, odds are the foam is poured directly around the exhaust pipes which has essentially glued them in place. You might be able to knock them loose from the rear with a wooden block and sledge, but mine were locked in pretty tight. If it's run fine for 21 years, I'd leave it. Otherwise, I'd probably go the thru-hull route. Be sure to remove all the old sealant & reseal the flange and screw holes with 5200.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the board. That's one clean looking bilge.

jet
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah..some of the time you can switch the direction on a muff..and if you did it would only slow it down a little bit and add more back pressure. Not a huge deal.

SunsportClassic90
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for your response. If it does not effect function or performance, I will leave the mufflers alone.

I have finished inspecting the boat and found several items that need attention that I will post in separate threads.

jet
05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
No big deal. I had my muff's out this weekend and they look the same in or out, it just zig-zags back and forth to quite it down some. Nothing to worry about.