PDA

View Full Version : Pulling multiple tubes from pylon or hoist hook?

CarZin
05-03-2011, 11:16 AM
This is the question. I know when we have the family reunion, tubing is always the favorite. I would assume the ski pylon on an 09 21V is nearly indestructable, and should handle pulling multiple tubes with ease. I dont mind using the hoist hook on the back, but dont like the lines running so low (not always fun for the rider).

csuggs
05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
When pulling a tube I always use the pylon, never the tower. I have tried the hook on the transom before but the lines are too close to the water. I have towed 5 large tubes each with 2 teenagers in them! Talk about fuel consumption!!

Jetlink
05-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I only tow a very small dounut tube with a single rider off the tower. I have seen other boats running three or more large tubes off the tower but that would make me nervous. I either tow off the pylon in front of the engine or off the tow eye on the transom depending on if I have people occupying the rear seat. I would avoid towing from the lifting ring though. I believe that was made to be strong through the vertical axis as in a lifting force and not so much for a pulling force such as towing. At least that is how it was explained to me when I got the boat.

CarZin
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Ok. Looks like the ski pylon is the way to go. That's what I figured.

We've been out for 4 straight weekends now. Usually 6 hours on the water. Been using about 22-26 gallons during that time. Riding pretty much the entire time. Haven't towed tubers.

When you guys are in sharp turns, do you feel it takes some effort to get the wheel spun around? I was watching a Tige advertisement, and the guy was making sharp turns with his pinky. No way I can do that under load with the 21V. Much tighter.

cadunkle
05-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Seriously? Tubing? I'll keep my comments to myself, just try not to mess up the water for anyone else out there.

In any event, pull form either the pylon or a ski eye on the transom. Do not pull from a tower, extended pylon, or lifting ring.

CarZin
05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
There is plenty of place amongst the 350 miles of shoreline that is my lake which won't mess up wakeboarders. I'm normally pulling people less than 10 years of age and people that only see a lake once or twice every 5 years.

Quite honestly, if you are a wakeboarder, the best bet is to be at the lake weekdays or early weekend mornings. During the season, after 9 AM, you can probably kiss the glass goodbye.

I've been loving the 65 degree water, as it keeps everyone off the lake, and I'm getting long runs in the main lake on glass. That is starting to end. Lake heated up over 70 last weekend. After memorial day, no more calm weekends.

duckseatfree
05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I haven't done it yet, but why is it so bad to pull tubes of the tower?

wspeedin
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
CarZin, what lake are you riding on in NC? Ive been on Lake Norman this year. I normally like to ride smaller lakes like Mountain Island Lake in Mount Holly, NC. Im guessing since you're in Raleigh you are riding on Hyco or High Rock?

Fman
05-03-2011, 05:34 PM
The ski pylon will handle many riders, I towed 4 wakeboarders off the pylon, and 2 more off the tower with no problems.... two or three tube ropes would be no problem for the ski pylon. I would not pull any more than two riders on the tower and no tubes on the tower either.

CarZin
05-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Lake Gaston is where my boat is located. I grew up there. Very partial to it because it is always +/- 1 feet in elevation. Seems to be all the other lakes in NC vary wildly with elevation.

cadunkle
05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Quite honestly, if you are a wakeboarder, the best bet is to be at the lake weekdays or early weekend mornings. During the season, after 9 AM, you can probably kiss the glass goodbye.

I've been loving the 65 degree water, as it keeps everyone off the lake, and I'm getting long runs in the main lake on glass. That is starting to end. Lake heated up over 70 last weekend. After memorial day, no more calm weekends.

Unfortunately weekdays are pretty much out, impossible to get a crew together after work. Weekend mornings I shoot to be launching the boat at or just before sunrise. When I'm fortunate enough to have a crew that only works every other weekend, generally speaking, as I ride a tidal river and can't launch for a 3+ hour window around low tide. Usually I'm not lucky enough to even try, and spend my weekends on the phone trying to get a third since someone backed out or didn't show. Count yourself lucky if you always have at least two other reliable people!

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but there's only a couple spots to ride around here so when I actually get a crew together I get pissed when tubers are messing up the good water and not paying attention. I can't count the number of times I've had to powerturn, put my boat between my rider and a tuber with driver looking straight back, and say my prayers. I'll often end up riding in the shallow part of the creek at low tide in 3' of water with a narrow channel... Because everyone else is afraid to go back there at low tide.

As for the water temp... 65* is keeping people off the water? I splashed for my first ride this past Saturday with my 4/3 suit expecting 50* water as the temp station on the main river said. Imagine my surprise at 63*, it was awesome! Like a hot tub, but we've had some sunny days and depth ranged from 3' to 12'. I might have to get a shorty spring suit as it was a bit warm in the full 4/3.

So no offense meant... Just have a thing with tubers in my experience.

wotan2525
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Why not pull tubes from the tower? I can guarantee that a wakeboarder cutting away from the boat or loading up the rope is putting more stress on the tower than a tube ever will.

Fman
05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Why not pull tubes from the tower? I can guarantee that a wakeboarder cutting away from the boat or loading up the rope is putting more stress on the tower than a tube ever will.

Just my .02...... but I have to totally disagree with this, tubes put a huge drag on the line with much more friction on the water. I would venture to say wakeboarding is much easier on the tower. This is why the manufacturers do not recommend towing people on the tower with tubes.

Look at the water displacement of a tube compared to a wakeboard. Physics pretty much tells the story on this one.

beast 496
05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Couple things of input. First a Tower is not designed to pull tubes or even slalom skiers. Plus many boat which towers are being installed on where not designed for any type of this stress. Remember you are pulling off the deck not the hull. The deck is only screwed or sometimes pop riveted on to the hull. Many towers are very poorly designed utilizing very little triangulation. Side to side movement creating undo stress on the mounting points.
As for tubing or wakeboarding in smooth water, I for one who loves flat with a little ripple do not like either tubers or Wakeboarders running creating huge waves in a smooth flat cove, BUT I am not the only boater and user of the lake. I know wakeboarders do not like having a barefooter running twice their speed in the same cove of the lake. Conversely when I am pulling my son and his buddies on tubes, I run in the middle of the lake, usually around 42 to 45 mph two tubes at once.
Be Carefull on the water this summer and have lots of fun with your SUPRA's. Al

KG's Supra24
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Conversely when I am pulling my son and his buddies on tubes, I run in the middle of the lake, usually around 42 to 45 mph two tubes at once.

That seems insanely fast!! Are you whipping them back and forth at that speed?

Fman
05-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Couple things of input. First a Tower is not designed to pull tubes or even slalom skiers. Plus many boat which towers are being installed on where not designed for any type of this stress. Remember you are pulling off the deck not the hull. The deck is only screwed or sometimes pop riveted on to the hull. Many towers are very poorly designed utilizing very little triangulation. Side to side movement creating undo stress on the mounting points.
As for tubing or wakeboarding in smooth water, I for one who loves flat with a little ripple do not like either tubers or Wakeboarders running creating huge waves in a smooth flat cove, BUT I am not the only boater and user of the lake. I know wakeboarders do not like having a barefooter running twice their speed in the same cove of the lake. Conversely when I am pulling my son and his buddies on tubes, I run in the middle of the lake, usually around 42 to 45 mph two tubes at once.

Can we get more people like you to move to California? For some reason all the tubers like to go into the fingers of the lakes where people ski and wakeboard! I cant figure it out, they are clueless.... 80k wakeboard boat, and towing tubers all day long in the prime water spots!

I do the same, always pull the tubers on the main lake, where you want to have rough water!

cadunkle
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Tubes have a lot of drag and pull on a boat. A tower puts a lot of leverage to multiply that force. The tower could fail (tubes or joints), the mounting could fail, or at the least you might end up with some cosmetic cracks in the gel around the mounting points from things flexing. Worst case something lets go and hurts someone on the way out. Pull 'em low on a solid mounting point.

As for sharing the water... I'll happily share the water with kneeboarders, wakeboarders, slalom, barefoot... Anything that requires skill and calm water. Where I ride I sometimes see some people slalom skiing. They obviously need flat water as much or more than I do. I'll ride for 15-20 mins tops, then take a break and sit and watch them make their slalom runs, then when they're done or changing riders I'll go again. Sharing makes it better for everyone, and you might meet some cool people along the way. Remember, sharing is caring. :) Hell I'll even share with the flat bottom guys who drag race.

With that being said, I despise tubers and hate being anywhere near them as they are extremely rude and downright dangerous. They're on the same level as jet ski people who rip up and down the stretch you're riding and jump your wake while you're pulling a rider.

wotan2525
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Just my .02...... but I have to totally disagree with this, tubes put a huge drag on the line with much more friction on the water. I would venture to say wakeboarding is much easier on the tower. This is why the manufacturers do not recommend towing people on the tower with tubes.

Look at the water displacement of a tube compared to a wakeboard. Physics pretty much tells the story on this one.

I'm skeptical. I can feel a wakeboarder or slalom skier pull my boat to the side when they make a hard cut perpendicular to the line. They are also using zero-stretch rope. I've never felt a tube exert that kind of side to side force on the tower. I have, obviously, felt a tube dive under water and produce drag straight back from the boat but I still don't believe it could possibly be any more than when you are trying to pull a wakeboarder out of the water.

I'm a big guy and I can bog down a boat when I try to get up on a single slalom ski. These same boats would have no problem pulling 2-3 tubers on to plane.

Fman
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm skeptical. I can feel a wakeboarder or slalom skier pull my boat to the side when they make a hard cut perpendicular to the line. They are also using zero-stretch rope. I've never felt a tube exert that kind of side to side force on the tower. I have, obviously, felt a tube dive under water and produce drag straight back from the boat but I still don't believe it could possibly be any more than when you are trying to pull a wakeboarder out of the water.

I'm a big guy and I can bog down a boat when I try to get up on a single slalom ski. These same boats would have no problem pulling 2-3 tubers on to plane.

You bring up a good point, would be even worse using the tower for pulling a slalom skier because of the increased drag when getting up and cutting in the water. I would have to agree with the recommendation of the boat manufacturer to not allow towing of tubes from the tower.

On my boat, I would not allow it either... just not worth the risk of damage. But everyone has there own thoughts, just seems like a unnecessary risk when you can just use the ski pylon for tubes.

beast 496
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
That seems insanely fast!! Are you whipping them back and forth at that speed?

Of course we are wipping back and forth, doing wide sweeping turns, ect. Pulling a single tube we get to 50 mph on a gps but that just sucks the gas down way too fast. However I have knee boarded at that speeds for a short instance lol Al

Jetlink
05-05-2011, 04:40 AM
How far and how many times do they skip when they wipe out? Geez, I have been flung once or twice at speeds less than that and I think I skipped so many times that I forgot the pain by the time it was over...lol

CarZin
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I have come close to seriously injuring people on tubes at way less speeds. As a rider, I dont like anything above 22-23. When I pull people, as a result of one wipe-out that nearly knocked unconsicious one rider, I now have the motto of 'fun but safe'. I sling them enough to scare them, but always back down the power if there is something I know will throw them off.

Over 40 just seems insane. I think if anyone was pulling me at that speed, they'd never pull me or any of my guests (let alone be behind the wheel) every again.

cadunkle
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Over 40 just seems insane. I think if anyone was pulling me at that speed, they'd never pull me or any of my guests (let alone be behind the wheel) every again.

Agreed, safety first. Accidents happen, but I won't invite them by doing stuff like pulling riders at 40+ MPH. I've never had a barefooter in my boat so no reason to go that fast with anyone behind the boat. I'm always nervous about people getting hurt and feel it's my responsibility as the owner of the boat inviting people out for a fun day on the water to do everything in my power to be sure everyone has fun and goes home uninjured with a positive experience.

pap
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
40+ tube pulling is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The forces generated at that speed with whipping turns that tubes generate can definitely go from fun to disaster very quickly. I would strongly encourage against it.

We've done tubes with the kids for years, but as my teenage son has gotten stronger I've become increasingly concerned about the speeds it takes to fling him off. Especially with two people on the tube.

As to the original question, pulling a tube (especially if aggressive turns at speed) generates far more lateral forces than a wakeboarder and due to the lever action of the tower, can definitely damage and should not be done.

CarZin
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The tubes that hold multiple riders are the biggest concern. In my near accident, we had a tube with 3 adults, feet facing the front. There was a headrest at the back of the tube. In the turn, they hit a wave hard, and one rider came off. This distabilized the remainder of the tube, and the other two people were ejected and hit one another very hard. would not have been the same result with 3 singles.

I worry about liability even though I am over covered. I don't have anyone sign anything, but if they are new to the boat, I say something to the line of "remember, this stuff is dangerous, and we want you to have fun, but you're doing it at your own risk".