PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Steering cable part number?

pecanflyboy
05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
My steering has become stiff on my direct drive 2001 Mobius. From what I've read this is a common problem, which requires the replacement of the steering cable.

My first problem is finding the correct Teleflex rack and pinion cable to purchase. Anyone have a part number? Link to a cross reference list?

My second problem is getting to the rudder. It looks like I will have to remove the tank to get to it. Can anyone tell me what they had to do to replace this cable on a direct drive.

Thanks,
Jimmy

sybrmike
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know the p/n for that particular model, but most steering cables have the p/n stamped on the jacket within the first two feet of the helm end.

pecanflyboy
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't know the p/n for that particular model, but most steering cables have the p/n stamped on the jacket within the first two feet of the helm end.

Good. I'll take a look. I'd like to have the new one on hand, before I start tearing into the boat to minimize the down time.

pecanflyboy
05-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Here is what I've figured out.
1. The Skiers Choice MPN is 106284, used on many years and models. There
is not a cross reference to Teleflex.
2. This is an 18' steering cable
3. Teleflex has two cables that can be used:
a. The Rack, part # SSC13518 (the last two numbers designate how
many feet in length). This is the older cable.
b. HPS TFXtreme, part # SSC15418 is the newer cable now being
supplied to all ski boat manufactures. It gives you less play in the
steering, and is a more durable set up. Cost is about $30 -$50 more
than the SSC.

J

Okie Boarder
05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Call Discount Inboard Marine and they'll get you the right part. Did you get it out already or are you still needing some help with that?