PDA

View Full Version : 1988 TS6M Fuel Issue

criddy72
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi,

Last season my boat stopped just when i took it out of the water. I tried to restart but it wouldnt. It had over half of a tank and i topped it off prior to winterizing. When i went to start it at home for winterizing it still would not run and i tracked it down to having no fuel in the carb. I checked the pump by putting another line to the pump from a fuel can and it started up and ran fine in the driveway. I then checked the filter, all fine. I put it away winterized as i didnt have time to fuss with it and have now pulled it for spring but now need to resolve the problem.
If i take off the fuel line coming from the tank and blow 10PSI of air up the line it just pressurizes the line and does nothing. No bubbles in the tank or anything. If i blow air into the filler of the tank and block off the breather then it just pressurizes the tank.
No air or fuel come out of the hose either way.
Is there a one way valve somewhere that has gone bad?
I will be pulling the tank this weekend but any insight would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.

smoothfootn
05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
If you changed the filter, you could have lost prime. If the line has emptied, then it takes a lot of cranking to get it back full. I primed my line by removing from the filter and sucking until the fuel was there. Then hook back up and crank till you get fuel to the carb. If you have a drill pump that would be much more healthful than the mouth technique.. I can't recommend it!....

Stoked
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I have the same boat. Mine sat for 9 years and after getting it running again, I had some intermittent fuel issues. Boat quit running when I was on the lake w/ my mechanic. We went through the fuel system back to front, including mouth to tank filler. However, when we blew in the tank, we had fuel come out the other end of the fuel line. I'm no mechanic but one of things my mechanic told me he checked at one point was the pick up tube in the tank and I know he did not pull the tank to do it. Perhaps you have a problem with that. Might be worth looking into before you pull the tank.

Good luck!!

cadunkle
05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Sounds like the filter on the end of the pickup tube is clogged.

michael hunter
05-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Fuel line is clogged between the tank and the pump. Before pulling the tank remove the hose at the tank and check it for obstruction. If its clear the clog must be in the tank remove the sender you may be able to see the problem.

csleaver
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Many marine fuel tanks have an anti-siphon valve attached between the pickup tube fitting and the fuel line at the tank to comply with coast guard regs. It is a simple one way spring loaded check valve to prevent fuel siphoning from the tank if the line comes loose. If it gets stuck it can greatly reduce fuel flow. A cracked or loose fuel pickup tube can pull air and may cause the pump to lose prime (ever try to suck soda through a straw that has a crack in it? I'm sure you get the idea). Check the pickup tube and anti-siphon valve. It may help solve your problem.