PDA

View Full Version : Complete loss of all power

duckseatfree
05-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Ok, so something weird happened today when I took the boat out today ('86 sunsport w/351 pcm).

It first started with me noticing that the bildge pump wasn't coming on about 30 mins after putting the anchor in the water. Seems like I need to get a bildge pump (I think...I took the wires from the pump and hooked it up directly to the battery...and nothing). That was probably around 2.

So after a few runs wakeboarding (around 6) I get back in and were planning to head back home. I go to turn the key and nothing. No clicks, no nothing. No radio, no blower, no lights, nothing. Its really weird because literally 45 seconds before it was running perfectly.

Any ideas???

Could it be that there might be too much water in the bildge area and it overloaded?

I know one thing is for sure...the batteries are not dead...where could the problem be? I'm going to spend all day tomorrow trying to troubleshoot.

Any ideas would be really helpful!!!

michael hunter
05-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Check the main breaker on the top rear of the engine.

duckseatfree
05-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I tried pressing the red burton for the main breaker, nothing. Am I supposed to do anything else to it?

duckseatfree
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok. Got it running!

Seems there was a bad connection in the dual battery switch

duckseatfree
05-08-2011, 01:38 PM
okay. Problem #2...

I hooked up only one battery and three boat started off fine. I went and got a new blower and was going to take the boat out on the lake and install it somewhere out on the water.

When I tried to start the boat up, the (+) battery terminal started to spark and smoke up a bit. I stopped, disconnected the battery, hooked it back up and tried again. Same thing happened.

What could be causing this? It's weird because a few minutes ago it started up with no problems.

Any ideas?

Edit: I just tried to crank it again and it sparked again, but this time when took the key out...it was still tring to crank...with the key off.

Could the problem be with the ignition switch? Making a short and causing the sparks on the battery terminal?

cadunkle
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Clean all cables and conenctions. If the cables are old and cruddy looking, replace them. Referring to all heavy gauge cabling from batteries to starter. Check for shorts as well. Clean all your grounds. Check voltage throughout the system with a mutimeter. Find your drop. You either have dirty connections or a short.

Also, if you're expecting your bilge to run every 30 minutes, fix your leak. These things really shouldn't leak while sitting still.

michael hunter
05-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Also check the starter relay make sure its not sticking . Check the starter draw it might be pulling too many amps.

duckseatfree
05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Also check the starter relay make sure its not sticking . Check the starter draw it might be pulling too many amps.

Thanks Michael. How would I go about doing this? I've never messed around with the starter

michael hunter
05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
You will need to have inductive amp meter to test it. If it is drawing too many amps it may have burned the contacts in the relay. You may have to have it looked at professionally.

duckseatfree
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I know most people here to to skidim for their parts (so do I) but I looked at DB electrial and their starters are much cheaper (in price). 2 questions...

1) any one have good/bad experience with DB electrial?

2) is this the right starter for an '86 361 pcm?
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-6855-new-crusader-ford-mercruiser-starter-ford-engines-sfd0026.aspx

Thanks

zalamander
05-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I think that one will work, I've also seen this one @ skidim's website:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK122014

It's more expensive, but I've also gotten great customer service from those guys/gals.

mathp
05-15-2011, 06:15 PM
One time my boat just stopped running going nearly full throttle. After much searching it turns out a wire was loose and it melted just a little on the inside where I couldn't see it. Turns out the mechanic that worked on it forgot to tie the wires together. It shorted out and a quick wrap with tap and tying the wires together out of the way solved the problem. Maybe not the solution here because it's acting a little differently but something to check.

duckseatfree
05-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses! I took the starter to a shop and it turns out it was good so I went ahead and replaced the starter relay and replaced all the wiring....works great now!