PDA

View Full Version : impeller damage & over heating

89mariah
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a low hour later model launch where the prior owner said the impeller failed and the motor overheated - to the point of smoking. He shut it down, towed back to the dock and had ti fixed. Any thoughts on what I should look for? I'm concerned of internal engine damage.

Thanks in advance!

michael hunter
05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
All depends on how hot it got . Remember 230 degrees is normal in a car. I thought the late model fuel inject engines have overheat protection to prevent damage . Have it inspected before you buy.

beast 496
05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
If it is EFI, you should be fine, Overheat alarm is tripped at 205* The exhaust will be hot so check the exhaust system, including the hoses and mufflers. The fiberglass muffler can not handle much heat without water flowing through it. Al

cadunkle
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
All depends on how hot it got . Remember 230 degrees is normal in a car.

230* is where damage starts happening. It should be your maximum shutdown point when overheating.

cadunkle
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Any thoughts on what I should look for? I'm concerned of internal engine damage.

Overheating results in scored cylinder walls, rings losing tension, possible bearing damage if it got hot enough (oil breakdown, piston material scoring the bearings). Check compression and oil consumption/oily plugs if an engine has been overheated bad. Also check oil for contamination, if it's real dirty or smells like bad it could indicate weak rings.

michael hunter
05-09-2011, 01:43 PM
230 will not hurt the engine the damage will be in the exhaust as Beast described.

pap
05-09-2011, 07:36 PM
As a newbie - how often do these impellers fail and if that should happen while I'm out on the lake, how does one deal with it?

docdrs
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
As a newbie - how often do these impellers fail and if that should happen while I'm out on the lake, how does one deal with it?

All depends whether you have a strainer.....3years......if not then depends what your running your boat thru.....weeds,silt, sandy water will all reduce the life of the impeller.......change it and carry your old one as a spare or better buy a new one and make replacing it every other year part of your maintenance

89mariah
05-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. The boat I'm looking at is a 2003 Launch. It does have Fuel Injection. Not sure if it is TBI or EFI. Do both have overheat alarms/safety shutdown?

Thanks