PDA

View Full Version : Loose Pylon on 90 Sunsport

SunsportClassic90
05-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I did a general inspection on my Sunport and found 3 large wood screws at the back of the boat in my bilge and my first thought was that they were left over from the boat build. I went hunting and found this . . .

All three screws spin freely when I tried to reinstall them! How difficult is it remove the center floor section to repair the damage?

michael hunter
05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Its a good thing you found this before you were pulling and it ripped out. Make sure the stringers are sound. Can you use a bigger lag bolt? You may be able to make a small access hole on the other side of the stringer and through bolt it. Make sure you use stainless hardware.

sybrmike
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Like Michael said, do a thorough inspection of your stringers. Loose lag bolts (pylon, engine, trans) are often an ominous sign of stringer rot. Hopefully stringers are solid & they just worked themselves loose over time. If there's remaining good wood around the holes, maybe some CPES & larger lags will work. If it's localized decay, then a partial patch is doable but a PITA (carpet, floor, stringers, foam, etc.). Be prepared for what you might find once you start opening the area up...