PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bushing Wear

SunsportClassic90
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Can someone tell me what is the use life of the strut bushing? I have a 90 Sunsport with 750 hours. It has not been in the water yet this year and I notice some play at the strut end of the prop shaft. I was able to insert a 0.028" feeler gauge between the shaft and bushing. How difficult is it to replace the bushing and are there any special tools required for the job?

csuggs
05-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Can someone tell me what is the use life of the strut bushing? I have a 90 Sunsport with 750 hours. It has not been in the water yet this year and I notice some play at the strut end of the prop shaft. I was able to insert a 0.028" feeler gauge between the shaft and bushing. How difficult is it to replace the bushing and are there any special tools required for the job?

I think a general rule of thumb should be if you have the shaft out and the bushings are original, then you should replace them. I don't know that there is an expected "life" for the strut bushing, but probably has more to do with conditions like speed and shaft alignment or wobble. That being said, .028" seems like a considerabal amount of play. Are you having vibration issues?

The bushings are very wasy to replace and are held in strut with a set screw.

cadunkle
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Replace them, they're toast.

I had a wobble in my shaft, and loose bushings. Replaced bushings and shaft is tight as can be, no slop or wobble anymore. Replacing is easy, just a set screw and light press fit. A brass drift and a couple taps with a hammer will pop them out.

SunsportClassic90
05-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reponse. I see the Vesconite bushing is not much more than the regular bushing and has better wear/life. Any disadvantage using this bushing?

cadunkle
05-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Not really sure on the vesconite disadvantages. When I did mine last month I went with the XPC vesconite ones. They went in easy, though it was difficult to get the shaft in, a little tight. Interestingly enough despite being difficult to insert, it spins with less resistance than even the old worn out rubber bushings. So I'm happy with them, but cannot comment on long term wear. I would expect at least as good as standard rubber style bushings.

Also, when you do the bushings align your engine.

sybrmike
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Also, when you replace the bushings - the experts say to align the grooves in the front and rear bushings with each other. I went with the XPC as well, but not back in the water yet so can't comment on relative merits. Don't know if it was necessary or prudent, but I also drilled a slight indent in the bushing wall to help the setscrew hold and added a drop of locktite to the set screw threads.

csuggs
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Also, when you replace the bushings - the experts say to align the grooves in the front and rear bushings with each other. I went with the XPC as well, but not back in the water yet so can't comment on relative merits. Don't know if it was necessary or prudent, but I also drilled a slight indent in the bushing wall to help the setscrew hold and added a drop of locktite to the set screw threads.

Ditto the locktite on the setscrew threads - and I have run the XPC for one season with no issues.

SunsportClassic90
05-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I got the prop shaft removed without much fuss. I removed the set screws and use a long reach socket and rubber mallet to remove the bearing but it wouldn't budge.

Any good methods for removing the bearing?

cadunkle
05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Brass drift and 4 lb mallet. Shouldn't have to whack it hard, but rubber isn't going to carry any force. You would at least need to use a dead blow. Brass or another soft metal is good as it is no harder than the strut so should not harm it unless you're not careful.

Blackntan90
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I bought the strut bushing removal tool from discount inboard marine- pricey to be sure, but a well made tool usually is. Made removing/installing a piece of cake. Mine does not have set screws, as a result the bushings were in there very securely! Everything I have read is that the life span on the rubber ones is 300hrs.

jet
05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Life span can be 5-10-15 yrs, running wet. Runninig it in your drive way dry..10 mins,lol. Change them, I think mine were $25 bucks?? and 30 mins to change it out.

SunsportClassic90
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I finally was able to remove the old bushing with a 27mm socket, extension and 4lb mallet. The XPC bushings went in with no problems.

Tightening the set screws will clamp down on the shaft! Can someone tell me how tight to set the screws? I plan to use some loctite as well.

SunsportClassic90
06-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I also got the coupler back together. The alignment was not perfect. I lightly installed one bolt/nut and the opposite side I could slide a 0.004" feeler gauge. Is this okay?

Blackntan90
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
My manual says it should be .003"