PDA

View Full Version : Painting gelcoat trim

haugy
05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
On a Saltare I found, the gel is black (even though the owner thinks blue, needs to be personally verified). But the small trim lines right above the black, and on top of the hull (see pic) are pink. How hard would it be to get those painted black?

I'm still not sure if I want the boat because it's got snaps all over the top cap. That is the most awful thing to do to a boat. I can't understand what people are thinking when they do that.

sybrmike
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Had a pro glass shop tell me that they could get a better match on small repairs in my faded black gelcoat with automotive paint - more flexibility in custom mixing to match. Wouldn't want to paint a whole boat that I actually used (been there w/ old jets), but painting over that accent stripe in the recesses shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the quest.

mapleleaf
05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Ditto to Mike, A pin striper bud told me he could change my top cap stripe with some one shot paint no problem....As for the snaps, I guess you better hope the cover fits!

Diggs
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a friend here that used automotive paint to change his accent line and it looks great.

cadunkle
05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm still not sure if I want the boat because it's got snaps all over the top cap. That is the most awful thing to do to a boat. I can't understand what people are thinking when they do that.

They're thinking they need a usable mooring cover to keep the boat protected. At least that was what I was thinking when I did mine. As much as I hate snaps it seemed the best way to go. You could always fill the holes and match the gel. Tedious, but it can be done. Personally I would have preferred if mine already had snaps installed as I wouldn't have felt bad putting holes in the cap when I had the cover made.

wotan2525
05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I have caps in mine, too. Wasn't an issue until I had a new cover made this year.... now I'm stuck with snaps. ;(