PDA

View Full Version : Prop Pulling???

cmtaylor777
05-10-2011, 06:11 PM
A while back I remember someone talking about a method to be able to pull a prop without a prop puller. Anyone know anything about this? Do you really need a tool to properly remove the prop?

cadunkle
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
If you're lucky it might pop off with a couple whacks of a hammer using a block of wood. I would use a puller though easier and safer... I didn't want to buy a prop puller, but fortunately one of my regular 3 jaw pullers fit over it nicely and popped it right off.

csuggs
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I use a regular gear puller that can adapt to either 2 or 3 arms (3 arms for a 3-blade prop and 2 arms for a 4-blade prop). I have used it many times with no problems at all.

I for one would not use a hammer anywhere around the prop, strut or prop shaft - too risky, even with a block of wood.

Memmer99
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Heat it up with a tourch and hit it a few times with a 2X4, but leave the nut on a few threads so the prop don't come flying off.

cmtaylor777
05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Man... You guys are making me worry.....

beast 496
05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
First of all NEVER hit the prop EVER, especialy the barrel of the prop. This included the back side. You can buy or make your own prop knocker http://www.gpcprop.com/pdf07/PropKnockers.pdf

I have been making these for years, well over 30 years now. Basically you remove the prop nut, and thread on a knocker until it bottoms out, You do need a 1/4" gap at minumum between the knocker and the prop. Then you can hit a few times with a ball peen hammer or an air hammer. The vibration is what removes the taper bond between the shaft and prop. I typically use an air hammer, multiple light blows to the knocker/shaft. I have removed up to 28" diamiter props on 2 1/2" shaft with this procedure. Easy. Al

docdrs
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM
First of all NEVER hit the prop EVER, especialy the barrel of the prop. This included the back side. You can buy or make your own prop knocker http://www.gpcprop.com/pdf07/PropKnockers.pdf

I have been making these for years, well over 30 years now. Basically you remove the prop nut, and thread on a knocker until it bottoms out, You do need a 1/4" gap at minumum between the knocker and the prop. Then you can hit a few times with a ball peen hammer or an air hammer. The vibration is what removes the taper bond between the shaft and prop. I typically use an air hammer, multiple light blows to the knocker/shaft. I have removed up to 28" diamiter props on 2 1/2" shaft with this procedure. Easy. Al

And this does no damage to your vdrive or tranny seals that prevent their respective fluids from leaking out? Why not use a proper puller and heat if necessary and put no stress on these seals is all I am saying.

firstdogriver
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Buy or rent a prop puller and save yourself the headache of damaging something. My Dad always said "to do the job right and use the right tool".

beast 496
05-10-2011, 11:06 PM
And this does no damage to your vdrive or tranny seals that prevent their respective fluids from leaking out? Why not use a proper puller and heat if necessary and put no stress on these seals is all I am saying.

No these will not do any damage to any shafts brgs or seals if used properly. These are standard prop removers for for many differant type of props, specifically Michigan Wheel. Plus there is an use authorization use from ZF Hurth and Buck Algonquin which is the manufacturer form many prop shafts. In fact Buck Algonquin is the manufacturer for the Knockers I recomended. To each there own, but your Local Supra parts supplier Skidm also sells there own version too. Al

wotan2525
05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I use a really soft rubber mallet and heat -- never had a problem getting one of. Use a dab of anti-seize on re-installation and save yourself the headache next time.

Ptownkid
05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Took mine off the other day with a 6" 3 arm gear puller, worked great! The best part is that one of our chains up here, Canadian Tire, "lends" them out for 48 hours by paying and returning. They have a large assortment of tools that they do this with, quite handy.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Did you get it yet? I tried a couple different gear pullers and it was stuck on SO HARD. I had to buy a real prop puller, takes about 3 seconds. Either tape or hold onto the little square prop key, it's on the bow side of the prop. It will SHOOT out and you'll never find it again and then you have to find a new one lol.