PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions, help me pick a boat

haugy
05-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Alright, I've got two boat opportunities to pick from. A Sunsport, or a Saltare.

Both in about the same shape, some minor cosmetics, original floors on both, mechanically sound. All things I can work with. So now it comes down to price, and the boat.

Sunsport is at a very high premium, but it's red, my favorite. The Saltare can be had for a more reasonable price, but the owner thinks it's blue and from the pictures I've seen it sure as hell looks black.

Sunsport has a Monster tower that would be removed, and New Dimensions put on it. Stereo, and that's it. The Saltare has a plain jane stereo, that's it.

Now, going off of that, take a look at the two. Which would you choose, AND WHY?

I was considering a Sunsport because I keep reading about the heavy, slightly slower performance from the Saltare. And I'm doubting them wondering if I need the giant barge. But I also like the room aspect.

Take a look, please give me your honest thoughts. I'm planning to go and sea trial both of these this weekend, and will most likely pick one of them.

These are the listing pics. I have larger higher res ones. Tons of the red sunsport.

Okie Boarder
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I think that is a tough decision. I know you also mentioned in the other thread that you would want to remove the snaps and fix all the holes. That is a bit more work than filling the holes after removing the Monster tower.

I know from what I've read that it takes quite a bit more weight in the Saltare to dial in the wake, so that is a good factor to consider.

I haven't personally been on a Saltare to see how different they are in size, but I feel like our Sunsport is plenty big for a family and some friends. We also have the wake doing very well without a whole lot of weight and can get it quite big with a medium amount of weight.

If it was totally up to me, I'd go for the red Sunsport. Two main reasons:

1. It is red, which is your favorite.
2. I'm not convinced the extra size of the Saltare is necessary.

sybrmike
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I know you've been looking for a Salt, but between these two boats I'd lean towards the Sunsport.

Sounds like the Sun needs minimal work to make it like you want (replace tower, fill a few holes, etc.). It's red which you obviously prefer & still deep freeboard for weighting. Although slightly smaller than the Salt, the usable room is really about the same. The extra length in the Salt is mainly in the playpen, but the Sun's bow is still plenty big for most. Like your previous Mariah, the Salt has the funky rear corner seats & you can probably fit 3 across the Sun's rear bench easier - plus it's easier to hide a sack under the traditional bench.

The Salt ain't red - hopefully you'll have this one a long time, so be happy with the color (although I am partial to black Salts). I can tell you from experience that bringing that blue/black hull back to black is a lot of work. It's got a lot of snaps which you don't like - another compromise or more work for you. And the red/pink accent stripes definitely have to go - more work/$. It's a big boat with a big block - more room to store, weight & fuel to haul, fuel to run, etc. - manageable, but worth considering.

The Sun and Salt are both great boats, just slightly different. I'm sure seeing and driving these particular boats in person will make the decision between the two easier. It's a tough call for sure, but good luck & keep us posted.

haugy
05-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Y'all all bring up good points. And I knew you would be helpful since there are owners of both. Thank you.

Storage is no problem for me. I've got plenty of room for either under cover. But I do love the red. I just hate that Damn tower. Plus the owner thinks it's gold plated. I liked the Salt because I thought the room would be advantageous. And it's bare bones, no tower, speakers, etc. Again not to sound arrogant, but if I'm going to upgrade a boat, it's not only about performance, but appearance. But if most of the room is in the bow, it may not be worth going that route.

As for wake, these days I surf more than anything as harding good water is getting tougher and tougher. So it's not on my big focus points. Coming from a Mariah, either will be better.

The price difference is $4,000 with the Sunsport as the higher boat. So it's a big difference. The other problem is one is 7 hours away. The other is 6 hours away. And each is 4 hours away. I'm thinking I may want to narrow it down to a preferred boat first, and if it's good, buy it without covering the entire united states.

I spent two months looking for one. Now found two, and I'm complaining. ha ha ha ha

haugy
05-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I do have someone in the area, but he can't go look till this weekend. I've done that for people in Nashville as well. But I'm on a tough timetable. I will be having my first child in about two weeks. If I don't get one soon, I won't feel right leaving her alone for the first couple of weeks. Which means, there is a very good chance my opportunities may pass. I can only go boat hunting on the weekends too.

I have about 30 pictures of the Sunsport, all very large, high res pics. The Saltare I have a few, but not many.

And I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't want to advertise their locations publicly because someone may see it, and jump on it. It's fair game.

wotan2525
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd buy the one with the good stringers. I'm skeptical that either are in great shape..... There haven't been many reports with good news on these boards.

Salty87
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
$4k more for the sunsport?...what for?....tower you don't like, stereo that usually needs to be upgraded anyway, original floors. is the vinyl new? always stored inside at least?

i'm partial to saltare's already but $4k does a good bit of rebuilding. i'm with wotan in thinking dry foam and good stringers are rare.

is there anyone around you with a saltare you can take a spin in? i've never driven a mariah but i'm guessing that even the sunsport might seem a little more tankish in comparison, probably not much though.

saltare's move a little slower but it's not much more different than comparing a chevy s-10 with a 3/4 ton truck. the smaller one can get some little jobs done and might get around corners or stop n go traffic more quickly. but, you want the bigger one when you have serious 'work' to do. sure it drinks more gas and takes up more space but you rarely hear anyone complain about having too much power or room.

if red is what you really want though...especially if you can't drive a saltare first.

haugy
05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Just got off the phone with the Sunsport owner. He wants $14,000 for it, and because he went to a Tige dealer and they told them that's what they should ask, he did. Not realizing that they just set him to fail so he'll come back to them thinking their offer of $10k for trade in is worth it. Oh, and he looked at a Saltare in the area for about the same price, and figured it was fair. Nevermind the Saltare has been for sale since last year, and it has REDONE FLOORS.

My god, why do all the good boats have moronic owners?

haugy
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah...about that, I apologize.

:D

What year on the Sunsport? Big age difference between the two boats? Sunsport looks nice minus the huge eyesore.

1990 Sunsport
1991 Saltare

Okie Boarder
05-11-2011, 03:55 PM
My god, why do all the good boats have moronic owners?

LOL! That's frustrating, huh?

$14K seems high with a lot of things being original and not much for add-ons. I can see paying that for one with re-done stringers, etc., tower, full sound system, but not the way that one sits.

haugy
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Well, the Saltare sold in the last 48 hours. It was priced at $10k.

The Sunsport owner wouldn't go lower than $12,500. Not worth it for the money.

Back to the search. Crap.

sybrmike
05-11-2011, 08:08 PM
That sucks.

Oh well, it's probably because your patience will pay off with that pristine, red, rare '92 with square windshield and composite stringers, with 200 hours stored covered in that poor old recently deceased widow's barn for 20 years after she only drove it to church on Sunday's...

You'll find one. Oh btw - congrats on the impending arrival.

cadunkle
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Haugy, not sure if you got it but you should have a PM.

DAFF
05-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Haugy, be patient man...... Think as if you are looking to get married. Don't settle for anything but perfection.

Old boats are rarely a smart financial choice and usually a long term commitment!!! Keep in mind you are looking for someting special !!!!! Trust me the right boat will fall into your lap in time.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
05-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Yes patience is a big thing when looking for that exact boat you want. I know that for sure.

Chachi
05-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Haugy,

I'm selling my 1993 Sunsport due to buying a house and really wanting to finish my basement. My wife owns and operates a daycare and I work nights those kids need to be downstairs so I can SLEEP during the day! I will try to post pics today, but they are of the boat in the water. I repainted the stripe a gunmetal gray, added a swim platform with the SUPRA mat attached minus the grab rail from a 2009 Sunsport, the tower was already on the boat (it's a fabricated Mastercraft X-Series, prob early 2000's) when I got it. I believe there is about 800 hours on the motor, but the previous owners rebuilt it and the Holley carb at 600 hours. I also replaced the ignition, and have had no problems with the boat at all last summer. It has been winterized and stored indoors with a custom cover both years I've owned it.

The trailer is kinda old but it works and haven't had a problem with it. I don't think it's registered and from my understanding you don't have to in MN.

Currently there is two 550lb sacs in the back and two 350lb sacs in the front for a total of 1800 lbs of ballast. There is also two Straight Line Sumo pumps (1 brand new the other is spinning in the drain position all the time don't know what happened, it worked perfect before could prob be an easy fix) I also added a mirror with a chrome arm last summer, looks really nice. Overall it is in really good condition. The interior had some spots that were a little worn so, I replaced them(back bench seat and capains seat) and I intended on replacing all the vinyl, but ran out of time and money, I really wanted the boat to look perfect before I got her out on the water, but couldn't wait!

With doing the vinyl, boards, bindings, lifejackets, line, handle, mirror and all the other jazz, I didn't have the money to upgrade the stock Kenwood speakers and there is no speakers or cans on the tower.

I apologize for no pics as I will try to upload them tomorrow. I close on my home on the 27th so I am trying to sell it before then. I will be putting it on Craigslist this Friday, but thought I would let you know first being a Supra owner and forum contributor. I always liked your Mariah, honestly the prettiest one I've seen espescially with the ND tower! I know you like the red, but the gunmetal gray looks really sharp! The piping in the interior is red due to it being the original color of the boat. When I bought the boat it was this lime green that was painted on with a effin' paint roller! I couldn't bring it on the lake like that, so I had it sanded and professionally painted.

I know the cost for finishing a basement isn't cheap, but it needs to be done. So I'm looking to get $12,500 for it and pretty firm on the price.

csuggs
05-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Dude - sorry about the situation you're in, but keep the faith man. You just gotta keep looking. I know where there's a '87 Sunsport that's almost complete - I can check on it for you. Its blue.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM

cadunkle
05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I've never driven a Sunsport, and have only been in a handful of inboards... But my Saltare feels pretty quick out of the hole, jumps right up on plane. Granted I've never run more than 520 lbs + a few people in it, and I'm turning a 14x13 prop. I would expect the 454 would easily make up for the difference in size and weight. Out of curiosity what is the weight of Sunsport? I believe the Saltare is 3500 lbs dry.

Now it's not the greatest around the docks, but the only other inboards I've driven were on open water pulling riders, so nothing to compare to there. I don't have much trouble with it though, even when I have to move quickly due to strong currents. I'm sure a Sunsport would be a little more nimble though.

Okie Boarder
05-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the boat situation haugy. I'm sure something will pop up and everyone will keep looking. I second the congrats on the little one. I don't remember you mentioning that before, but I may have missed it. Kids are truly a blessing.

whelchel86
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
It took me about a year to find my red Sunsport and the search was worth it. I do remember the frustrations while shopping but in the end, the patience pays off.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Sunsports weight depends on the year. My 87 is only 1800 but newer 89-93 models are like 2500 I think.

csuggs
05-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Sunsports weight depends on the year. My 87 is only 1800 but newer 89-93 models are like 2500 I think.

Mikey you sure about that? The manual for my 86 states that it weighs 2500 dry.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Really! Dang that is news to me I guess I was going by NADA ::Blush:: thanks

cadunkle
05-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, 1800 would be a miracle of biblical proportions. That 351 probably weighs in just over 600 lbs fully dressed for marine use.

Okie Boarder
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
NADA says 2950 on an 89 Sunsport.

MESupra
05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a 93' Sunsport that I was fortunate enough to pick up last year for 5,800. Its the all composite model, 351 ford, pcm trans etc, in need of a new interior. As far as size goes I love the boat, great for 4-6 people and a golden retriever. More than enough power and fairly easy to manage at the ramp. I had my mind set on a post 93' Sunsport as it was one of the few earlier open bow inboards in my price range. At 14,000 you are able to broaden your search to a much newer boat, I love supra's but don't limit yourself, search for Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu. In Maine 14,000 should get you a mid 90's minimum.

haugy
05-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I love supra's but don't limit yourself, search for Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu. minimum.

Not get a Supra?????? Me no comprende. :D