PDA

View Full Version : Paint tower?

wotan2525
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I've got my tower sanded down and ready for paint (I don't think I have the $$ right now for powder coating.) Anyone have any advice for what kind of paint/primer I should be using?

Salty87
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
i ran out of funds on my rebuild and opted for paint. i used interlux perfection (jet black) with whatever primer they recommended. check their site www.yachtpaint.com for lots of instrux and videos. it went on as described and has held up surprisingly well too parked outside in the TX sun.

beast 496
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
have you ever checked into powder coating? I had an aluminum tower powder coated gloss black this winter for $100.00 I thought that was cheap. It turned out great. Al

cmtaylor777
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
If you do go with paint, make sure you use the primer for the correct type of metal you are applying it to. Otherwise it will flake. After you get a primer down, the paint is pretty easy.

dshaff24
05-11-2011, 09:45 PM
i dunno.. Id check around to get it powdercoated.. I paid 250 for Everything one my boat thats aluminum to get powdercoated black.. windshield..seat base..swim platform brackets.. Whole Tower..

wotan2525
05-11-2011, 11:44 PM
have you ever checked into powder coating? I had an aluminum tower powder coated gloss black this winter for $100.00 I thought that was cheap. It turned out great. Al

Wow -- I've only found 2 places near me that have a large enough oven and they've both quoted $300 (needs to be sandblasted, too.) I'll keep looking!

beast 496
05-12-2011, 08:06 AM
The tower I sent in was anodized clear. The propblem was some corrosion near the welds. The coating place prepped and everything. I also took an old pylon in for coating. The pylon they had to preheat and apply two differant layers of powder for proper gloss. Again they only charged $30 for the pylon. In the area I live in we have alot of manufacturing for RV's and such. Many items are now powdercoated due to paint restrictions. prices keep falling. Good for us though. Good luck in your search Al