PDA

View Full Version : marine equalizer

ess3489
05-12-2011, 12:23 PM
looking at the krypt 4200 equalizer, but wondering if there is anything a little cheaper that will do what i want.

here is what i am looking to get out of it,
1)volume control for tower speakers and separate for interior boat speakers (2 zones)
2)equalizer for both seperate zones, interior speakers and tower speakers
3)sub control

also i have a sub and amp for the sub and tower speakers and seperate amp for the tower speakers. not sure how to hook all this up to the equalizer and head unit. but i guess i can worry about that once i get the right equalizer.

any recommendations?

Okie Boarder
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
You could go with the Clarion unit (EQ746 I believe), but you will lose the two different zone adjustments of the equalizer bands. They seem to be selling for $50-60.

ess3489
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
so i will be able to adjust the volume to each zone, but not the bass mid bass and treble of each zone? as long as i can adjust the diferent volumes to the two zones i will be happy.

Okie Boarder
05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
It has a fader so if you have your cabin speaker amp on front and tower speaker amp on rear you can fade back and forth between the two. It will basically let you do what you're wanting to do.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/4/3/7/9/5/webimg/62027492_o.jpg

ess3489
05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
would i need to amp the interior speakers? i have an amp for the tower and amp for the sub. im happy with the level the interior speakers reach without an amp, so i wouldnt need one to hook up to that clarion eq right?

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
If you don't have an amp for the interior speakers there is not a whole lot of reason to get any eq for zone control. All the eq's out there have rca inputs and outputs, not speaker outs. If you're running the speakers off your deck I don't think you're going to be able to get the results you're looking for unless you run all your interior speakers off the front channel of the deck and then plug the tower amp into the rear rca out, then use the fader on your deck to adjust the levels. That's going to put a pretty heavy load on the deck front channel. If you want the zone control using some sort of eq, you're going to have to amp your interior speakers.

sybrmike
05-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Depending on the outputs of your head unit, a couple of PAC LC-1's in front of the amps may give you 3 zone control (with no EQ) - head unit volume for in-cabin, LC-1 for each of the amps.

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Yup, another good idea.

dusty2221
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
FWIW, I have the Krypt, the ability to control all the zones independently as well as have the mic on the towers is pretty damn cool.

KG's Supra24
05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
unless you have foul mouth friends, then it becomes somewhat of a liability.

dusty2221
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Your mom is a liability.

Ptownkid
05-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Your mom is a liability.

HAH! Good form, good form!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Technically the Clarion is not a 'marine' eq either. But it is cheap as heck. It is probably the most popular eq on wakeworld imho. I got mine last spring, does the trick well. Still working strong so far this year.

This eq will control two zones independently, only thing it cant do is control the EQ to EACH zone independently. But that's what I use the controls on my amp for. I love music but I'm not an 'audiophile', nor am I rich.

cmtaylor777
05-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Am I missing something here????

It controls the 2 zones with the fade , correct? If so, That is doing the same as most head units will do. Most head units have 2 sets of outputs, front and rear. Hook one zone up to the front and one up to the back.

I am really not trying to be a "Richard," I truely want to know if I am missing something that the Clarion does that a head unit can't accomlish.

I see the advantage that the Krypt and the Wetsounds units have. The ability to control seperate zones wouls be awesome. I am waiting to find one that is not at a completely stupid price. Honestly...200+ bucks for a simple crossover that someone through a mic on!!!!! This is the same thing that use to be in everyone's car systems until they started incorperating them into the amps and head units. They just hooked a mic up to it and added 150 bucks.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Yep. You could do the same thing, effectively, from the right head unit. It also adds a sub level knob for easy adjustment...many head units require menus to go through for that setting. It also has an aux in with selectability on it for a quick set up of plugging in an ipod, etc.