PDA

View Full Version : 4-mufflers on my Supra??

jet
05-13-2011, 01:26 AM
OK I still have the floor up and just took off the mufflers. I would really like to quite the exhaust down some and was thinking about just adding 2-more rubber muffs?? What do you think?

haugy
05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I would really like to quite the exhaust down

I'm sorry, you lost me right about here. :D Just out of curiousity, why? That's one of the things I love about these old girls, they have some rumble to them. Mine has never been loud, but soooooooo sexy when you pull away.

What about a water box? They were used on jet-skis to quiet them down. Basically a water muffler that is inline with the exhaust. You know what you need to do? Put one of those remote baffles like on performance boats. When you want it loud hit a switch to open the baffles.

sybrmike
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Like the others, I love the grumble/roar of a v8 - but to each their own.

Don't know about the costs for more/different mufflers (one of the few items I'm able to reuse), but FAE couldn't be much more than a set of marine specific mufflers plus mods to accomodate? Plus you knock the fumes down, as well.

jet
05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I know..I know..2-more wouldnt (I dont think) make a huge diff, those rubber muffs just zig-zag and go right through. Just trying to quite it just a little more, not take the muscle out of her. I cant find any cheap ones though. Anybody have any ideas?? Jet

sybrmike
05-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe downturned tips?

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm in agreement on the sound...it's a trademark sound to an inboard...not sure I'd want to take that away. But, if you really wanted to I guess there would be a couple ways to do it. You might go post on all the various forums out there with old inboards like ours and see what you can find. I'd definitely recommend correctcraftfan.com. There are tons of old boats on there and a few guys haue done straight pipes in rebuilds so they might have mufflers or know where to find them. You're going to have to shorten your exhaust tube (SS tube from the hose to the muffler if it is like mine) to be able to add in another muffler. You might look at what DIM has too...linky: http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025

cadunkle
05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I like how mine sounds, but I'm a gearhead so it's to be expected. If you don't like the noise, you could do it cheap and run turndowns or go with a FAE. Either one should keep the exhaust under water while on plane and quieter at idle too.

jet
05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Hmm..DIY FAE?? Yeah! Thats the ticket..YEAH! Bingo!!

dusty2221
05-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Maybe you should do 6. :) lol

haugy
05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
If I see a fartcan like on one of those bumble bee cars, I will be force to knock you out, and steal your boat from you.

Unless you're like 6'4", 260lbs, and can run a 6sec 40. Then I'll just make fun of ya.

cadunkle
05-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Alternatively, maybe try one of those crazy long mufflers from skidim and fit another small one behind it if there's room, and done Supertrapps on the end. I don't know, mine might not have mufflers. Looking through the exhaust I see a couple rippses or light baffles on the sides, very short. Almost like a glass pack. Sounds good, the wet exhaust takes the crackly edge off anyhow.

jet
05-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Hmm..a ricey sound. I like that..honey Im taking your Folgers. A 5-lb coffey can, that will sound sweet! lol

oh, and Im 4' 6" and weight 206!! They call me the STUMP!!

jet
05-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Well we all know the difference between the ole country boy that lives down the street that put straight pipes on his truck and runs by your house making the pictures on the wall rattle, and then you have the older guy next door that has the restored 69 camaro with magnaflows and his softly rumbles down the road. Thats what Im looking for??

rludtke
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I developed a do it yourself FAE system that almost worked. I will eventuall develop an improved version based on lessons learned. I used 3" black plastic ABS sewer pipe, and mounted it using the supertrapp center bolt, and a bracket off of the swim step. My problem was that I focussed to much on trying not to reduce back pressure, and not enough on hydrodynamic drag. What I learned is that the ABS plastic is very adequate for the job, but the the outlet pipe size needs to be much smaller and formed to be more hydrodynamic.

My new version will be built from smaller pipe, probably 2 1/2", and will feature only one outlet pipe located on the centerline. The outlet pipe will need to be flattened by heating and forming.

Here is my thread:https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=6851

jet
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Any updates on this DIY FAE. lol

scottchapin
08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Have you looked at this? I like the idea and simplicity.
http://www.knbsupply.com/insisy.html

jet
08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Those look pretty cool. But, Im looking for a cheaper solution, spending my big money on fun and shiny stuff. lol. There is 3' of exahust tubing under the floor, I just figured I could find 2-more used rubber muffs to put in-line with the others just to tone it down a bit more.