PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions.

Tim405
05-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Okay - so I got this 1998 Supra Legacy early last year - has about 280 hrs on it. ( First inboard boat I've owned) - have some issues and - need some good gouge on fixin them from you salty boat owners. It has taken on water from day one - bilge pump runs prob every hour - figured out it's most likely the shaft log seal/packing... easy enuf...( insert advice here) ALL hoses have been replaced, impeller - all that good stuff...it also has some shaft "growl" - probably strut bushings? - guessing they are easy also? bronze or brass correct?
2 each? I just pull the prop and knock em out and slap in some new ones after I check the shaft for wear I'm assuming...??? Here's the tough one...Rudder... how in the heck do you get to the grease zerk/ seals whatever back there? Guessing I gotta remove the fuel tank to find this bad boy? - I've let all this go so far this year cuz well... I mean the bilge pump works fine - and it hasn't sunk so far...plus what fun is it without a little risk involved eh? (this is where my wife rolls her eyes at me - feel free to also do so here...)
Owners manual is vague - dangerously so... give a former Marine a non specific set of instructions and some tools (Hammer) -and I'll probably be writin a few more big checks unless someone directs me otherwise. ( one syllable words please! LOL)
Seriously - Thanks in advance...

sybrmike
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Sounds like you've got a handle on it.

Normal areas of water ingress - shaft, rudder, exhaust. If you've got packing instead of mechanical seal, that's probably the source. Possible that just tightening down on existing will get you down to a drop every 30 seconds. Some good threads or packing replacement here already, so won't rehash but you can go back with the Gortex packing which is supposed to last longer & drip less - or upgrade to Lasdrop or PSS mechanical seal.

Original strut bushings were brass w/ rubber inserts. You can't get to em by just pulling the prop - also have to disconnect the coupling from transmission, pull the coupling off the shaft so you can remove the shaft from the rear (unless you want to pull the engine and go the other way :) ). It's tough to knock them (yes, two) out with the strut in place (don't forget they probably have set screws thru the strut) - probably easier to split them (hacksaw blade). You can go back with original materials or XPC plastic. Don't forget to realign the coupling once it's all back together.

Don't know the layout of the Legacy, so no help accessing the rudder.

Patience, man - boat parts can get expensive if you just switch to a bigger hammer.

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 10:36 AM
sybr covered most of it. Also, to reach the rudder you might have a removable panel in the floor. If you removed that and the rear seat it would probably let you reach it. I could look at it with you in person if you want since we're in the same area. PM me if you want to do that.

Tim405
05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
had the floor out and rear seats just recently when I had new upholstery done... the "panel" that covers all that goes from aft of the doghouse, under the rear bulkhead, ending up somewhere I figure under the fuel tank and maybe ends at the transom...kinda like bigfoot...I know it's there - I just aint seen it...

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Hmmm. Well, like I said, I'd be willing to look at it with you to try to figure it out.

Tim405
05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
once I get my chores done tomorrow - I'll probably dig into it... if I git askeered, I'll give you a shout. Thank you for the offer!

Okie Boarder
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you my number so you have it.