PDA

View Full Version : Remove Old Anti Fouling Paint??

DAFF
05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Had a phone call today from a client who wanted me to blast off some fouling paint. He wants to remove it and bring back the original finish. Is it possible ?? In the past I have washed some boat bottoms but never to totally remove the Anti F paint. Any ideas ??

csuggs
05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I've seen people sand it off before, but that presents a whole nother problem . ..

cadunkle
05-13-2011, 03:18 PM
You got two options, mechanical or chem. Soda blast or walnut shells would be my thought. I've never done this on a boat hull, but I'd imagine it would leave the gel able to be wetsanded and/or buffed to a good finish.

Or go chem on it. No idea the products to use, but would be the same idea. Chemicalls strip, then wet sand/buff.

Salty87
05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
like clint mentions.....i've never had a boat with bottom paint but my understanding is you normally can't go back. the instrux usually start with 'scuff the crap outta the hull so the bottom paint sticks'.

DAFF
05-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Well thats not good news... Perhaps a good wash with very high pressure and wet sand the sides leaving the bottom portion of the boat. Re apply a more colour matching coat of anti fouling paint.

Myself I would never do it but if the boat sat in the water over time I might change my mind. From what I remember the paint works by releasing paint particles so the sea weed cant form.

beast 496
05-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I have a story to tell ya about bottom paint removal, trust me it ends great.
1st of all I had a customer who wanted me to remove the bottom paint from a Rinker 232 and bring back to original gel white. I really did not want this job as it really sucks to do. I have done it on other boats also. Now the good part. My wife wanted a boob job, ya a boob job. But they are incredibly expensive. I told her to get an estimate for double DD's. I said "whatever the estimate for the boobs will also be the estimate for the bottom paint removal, but you have to help" Any way the estimate came in at just around 5k. So, the bottom job was the same. I never would have guessed the boat owner did not even hesitate and said "Do it". So the boat owner got a clean bottom and I got a new pair of toys. lol. Double D style.
Now for how to remove.
I used Petits "Bio-blast" bottompaint remover. Basically brush on and let sit for a while and scrap off with an ice scraper, and other plastic putty knives. The bottom came out great. I then had to sand and respray the bottom with new white gel coat, buff to shine. My wife did help alot also. The job was close to 40 hrs in labor plus 2 qt gel coat. Good luck Al

DAFF
05-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Before and after pics would be helpfull...... LOL

Thanks for all you help everyone. Beast I will never be able to look at anti fowling paint without a chuckle in the back of my mind. Not to mention a all new way of estimating!!!!

DAFF
05-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Before and after pics would be helpfull...... LOL

Thanks for all you help everyone. Beast I will never be able to look at anti fowling paint without a chuckle in the back of my mind. Not to mention a all new way of estimating!!!!